do you carry anything when your off duty?

BUDS189

"Off duty?"

What is this "off duty" concept you speak of? :?

I was just thinking the same thing! I do keep a first aid kit in the car though, but that's more for when I do something stupid and need a band-aid. When I'm actually off-duty I don't stop at accident scenes.

Noah

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My self I carry nothing, I dont go looking for things like some crazy people. My firefighters freinds carry....NOTHING as well. It is a lot easier and safer to just active the 911 system then get involved unless it is the difference between life and death if someone dosent step in right away. I've step into a situation once, and it was when a motor cycle did a power slide on the 401 (major highway) infront of me, it would be irresponsible for me not to. The scarey thing was we were in a rual area and there was a voulanteer fire captain there as well, when the first non transport paramedic showed up and realized there were trained people on scene his exact words were "What do you guys want me to get you", my jaw dropped.......

I usually carry a small first aid kit. Thats because my car came with one. I think its between the spare tire and the cd changer. I've used it twice. Both times for my daughters that got a boo boo. When I started I did carry a pretty wankerish kit, but have grown up. I will call if see an emergency. Usually I skip 911 and just call my dispatch directly. They have more of a brain than the average cell phone 911 center and will notify the correct department. I won't stop. To dangerous. My car no partner, no flashing lights on my car, wait car not big truck, no radio, no medical direction....no way

Well, I'm not going to let someone die just b/c I'm off duty, but I'm sure as hell not going to walk up to a scene yelling my list of certs. I have a nice little Atwater Carey 3.0 kit, and if it can't be handled with said kit.. that's what an ambulance is for.

Stoppage of bleeding, cpr, etc.. is just about all I'm willing to do "off duty". If someone asks how I knew what to do, I tell them I took a first aid class.. which is basically what we do. An Advanced x 5 first aid class.

Oh man, where do I start

In my POV I have:

Dyna Med BLS Trauma Kit (Fully Stocked)

Dyna Med ALS Trauma Kit (Fully Stocked)

Dyna Med ALS Airway Kit including - O2 (with three back up tanks), intubation kit, 5 pedi NCs, 5 Adult NCs, 5 Pedi NRs, 5 Adult NRs, 2 Pedi BVMs, 2 Adult BVMs, 2 CombiTubes, various sized airway adjuncts, Suction (Battery Powered and Hand Powered), Cric Kit, etc...

Various sized Collars

Dyna Med Long Board

Dyna Med Short Board

KED

Stokes

Scoop Stretcher

Stair Chair

5 - 1000 Bags of NS

10 each - 24 gauge, 22 gauge, 20 gauge, 18 gauge, 16 gauge, 14 gauge catheters

Various ALS Medications

OB Kit

Gunshot Kit

Various CB Radios, Lights, Sirens

I got one of those cool Decal Kits from Galls, so people and identify and flag me down if needed in an emergency

Life Pack 12

Back up AED

Spotlight with 3,000,000 candle power

Full sized maglights (1 blue, 1 red, 1 black)

Pedi BP Kit

Adult BP Kit

7 Differently Styled Stethoscopes

6 pairs of backup shears

53 clip boards, with three packs of 100 pens each, just in case I have to handle an MCI alone, and need to get Patient Information

Tape Measure

Window Punch

Broselow Tape

Haligan

6 Different Fire Extinguishers

Airbags for extrication

Jaws of Life w/ generator

Accident reconstruction kit

17 body bags

Battery powered cooler for Body Parts

10 lb Sledge Hammer with interchangle rubber and metal mallets.

Circular Saw

Chain Saw (just a mini, I don't wanna be too extreme and be labeled as one of those Wackleer people)

Well that's is some of what I have... I don't wanna keep going, I know everyone is getting jealous

And as for what I keep on my person:

I'm usually always wearing my BDU styles pants, with my pockets filled with various life saving equipment and supplies. I keep two pairs of shears in my breacher pocket, along with a mini maglight. On my Duty belt, I have a different pager for the surrounding three towns, so I can hear everything that is going on. I have two personal cell phones, just in case I have to call 911 and a battery dies. I have two holsters that carry a total of 4 trauma shears, 2 bandage shears. 2 tweezers, and 2 mini mags. I also have a glove pouch that holds thirteen pairs of gloves. I also carry five more extra pairs in each of my back pockets. I also have my fanny pack with a basic first aid kit, pocket mask, glucometer, and my Glock. I also always make sure I'm wearing a t-shirt that easily Identifies me as a healthcare provider. I make sure I always have my badge with me, which I keep on a chain around my neck at all times, along with a back up in my wallet, on my belt, and in my glovebox. I also keep a pair of shears in each of my boots, and also a 14" hunting knife strapped to both my legs.

I guess that is most of it, but there is probably more.

My new Gall's Catalog just came in today also, so I'll beable to update this list significantly tomorrow. Gotta love next day shipping.

Stay Safe

ROTFLMFAO

Well, I'm not going to let someone die just b/c I'm off duty, but I'm sure as hell not going to walk up to a scene yelling my list of certs. I have a nice little Atwater Carey 3.0 kit, and if it can't be handled with said kit.. that's what an ambulance is for.

Stoppage of bleeding, cpr, etc.. is just about all I'm willing to do "off duty". If someone asks how I knew what to do, I tell them I took a first aid class.. which is basically what we do. An Advanced x 5 first aid class.

When I said I dont carry anyhitng, i should have made it a little clearer. I have one of those small car first aid kits, but i dont carry anything pro grade like some people do. I have a basic reuseable mask, a pair of gloves, and some bandaids. And IMO if you are going to step in while "off duty" i think you should identify yourself, otherwise you get joe blow who took a first aid course at work 3 years ago trying to tell you what to do. When I stopped for that motorcycle it was pretty obvious that there was a fire captain running across the median at me so i identified myself to him (it was obvious because he had his radio in one hand dispatching trucks to the scene). But honestly if i think there is someone who knows first aid there, in a urban or semi urban envrionment i dont think id ever stop unless its a mass casuality situation or again life threatning.

I used to know someone, who was a 'wacker's wacker'...He went and bout a pickup truck and had it redesigned for a first responder/rescue truck. He even went as far as to get it certified as one through his city...Mind you, this is his POV. He had everything but the heavy equipment & O2 on the truck...He bought a stair chair, backboards, etc...This was basically a non transport mini ambulance. :roll: Did come in handy as he had passed a major MVA and no EMS was on scene yet. But That really is extreme.

I carry a box of gloves. I would like to keep a first aid kit in my car, like a mini jump bag minus the O2. I do have a scope & BP cuff at home I don't use that sits collecting dust. I got it when I was more active on the ambulance but now...looks as if my volunteer corps will be closing its doors within the next year. So I am just planning on getting my recert soon, then working for awhile before I look for a new volunteer corps to ride for.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.