do you carry anything when your off duty?

BUDS189

do any of you carry any thing on your person when you are off duty. once and a while i will stick a pair of gloves in my back pocket when i go out, but its rare. I would rather not get involved in situations here in Thailand because of the danger it presents to myself. i once stopped to help a man and his girlfriend here when i saw them slide on some dirt and go down. i stopped to help them, they in return, call the police and tell them i struck them with my bike (which had no scratches), anyway the police too me to the station and locked me in some room alone for 7 hours, they took my cell phone and would not let me call me embassy. i was finally released after i agreed to pay the couple 4000 Thai Baht. so i really dont like to get involved anymore. the reason why i carry the gloves is because i would help with CPR compressions only and let family members breath for them..lol. i know its an odd topic but im bored, so any thoughts anyone?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I'm off duty I don't carry anything with me that would identify me as paramedic so I definatly don't carry anything that would enable me to get involved in any way. If I'm off duty, I'm off duty and don't want to get involved other than calling 911 to activate the system for whatever area I happen to be in.

Shane

NREMT-P

I have my shears and a mini-trauma kit [for non-ambulance job, supplies provided by employer] in my car, but that's only because I leave my work stuff in my trunk.

Edit: Oh, yea, I also have my "ambulance bag." BP kit (stupid company doesn't have the trigger style cuff), ok steth (ok means not Littman Cardiac 762387, but not dollar store variety), portable DVD player, and DVDs. It's in my car for the same reason as above.

...anyway the police too me to the station and locked me in some room alone for 7 hours, they took my cell phone and would not let me call me embassy. i was finally released after i agreed to pay the couple 4000 Thai Baht.

Jesus! Nothing like a little jail time and extorsion to take change your mind about helping random people in Bangkok. F that.

I have a little face shield on my keychain that I carry. Its kinda old now, I dont know if it would even really do its job these days. I also have a basic BLS kit in the back of my car. Never had to use the shield before, and only cracked the BLS bag open once or twice for minor stuff with friends/family.

There was a recent thread about what gear people have in their cars. Some people here have gone pretty overboard with it haha.

I have a "kit" that's actually just a bag that I found cheep. It's got 4x4s, some kerlex, bandaids, waterless hand sanitizer, a cpr face shield, some gloves, a set of sheers, a pair of tweezers and my spare BP kit (I've ony got it because the list for my EMT-B class said we needed a BP cuff and stethescope before class started and then the instructor pulled out ones that had been paid for in the student fees for each of us.).

The thing is that I'm in a rural area. If I'm not "on call" and I come across an accident or something, I'm required to call 911 and provide assistance until the ambulance can get there. Most of the stuff that I have I've not used in a year and a half. I've used my bandaids up and had to replace them between my own kids and the different scout programs that my kids are in.

The only EMS supplies I have with me are what ever I forgot to take out of my pockets, and is now floating around the back seat of my truck.

I don't have any advertising on me, unless going to or from school or work. Nothing on my truck.

I used to have my Nextel with me so I could call 911, but since the bastards turned me off yesterday....

(My new Cingular arrives next week.)

I MIGHT consider stopping if I witnessed, or if I see stupid people making the situation drastically worse.

Left hand = Beer

Right hand = Barbecue tongs

Pocket = Wallet with money to buy more beer

Pocket = Mobil phone

yes, i am also bored

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.