AMR Disaster Relief Teams

etfink

I was messing around last night looking at places to work and came across AMR's web site. In their careers section they had a separate link for disaster relief teams. Has anybody heard about this program?

I have heard of it and in fact am a member of the team. It's basically just a group of willing AMR employees who are willing and able to deploy for 14-21 days on 24 hours notice to various parts of the country that need a disaster response. I was a part of the Hurricane Katrina relife response at the Mississippi coast. It was a great experience and I would welcome the chance to be a part of another experience like the one I had in Mississippi, but I would not wish a disaster on anyone.

Shane

NREMT-P

"The Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), in partnership with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the General Services Administration (GSA), recently awarded a contract to AMR to provide emergency ground ambulance and para-transit services in coastal parishes of the State of Louisiana during a federally-declared emergency or disaster.

This contract award demonstrates some of the federal government's efforts to develop a more collaborative and strategic approach to responding to national emergencies.

As the nation's leading medical transportation company, AMR must be ready to respond to emergency events wherever they might occur across the United States. This means having a team of professionals prepared now and in the future to deploy immediately to wherever local governments and communities need us, or when we are called upon at a national level.

As with previous disasters to which we have responded, hundreds of employees may need to be deployed to affected areas to provide medical care, establish communications systems, maintain a vehicle fleet, and offer other key support services to those rendering aid.

Before continuing, you should know the following:

* You are volunteering to be deployed to a "Theater of Operation". Conditions in the area may be drastically different from those where you ordinarily work. Conditions for shelter, food, power, equipment, facilities may be rudimentary - as a volunteer you agree to work in these variety of conditions.

* If deployed, you must be able to be on-site where needed within 24 hours (travel arrangements will be made and paid by AMR).

* If deployed, generally this will be a 15-17 day assignment.

* If you are a current AMR employee who volunteers and is deployed, some aspects of your employment will change during the period you serve on the DRT, including your shift, number of hours worked, compensation, and working conditions. If you are a unionized employee, other terms, conditions, and/or obligations may or may not apply. Except as provided herein, this does not change the terms and conditions of your employment with the Company or create an employment contract."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.