EMS Flight Cost

rukascrew

Patient Care?

This is something being closely considered. This whole design is more of a Proof-of-Concept. As in, perhaps an EMT could be providing care, as a computer handles the driving sequence.

Something along these lines, of an EMT/Pilot.... who could be 'two places at once' .

We will be creating a prototype, but not meant for mass-production just yet.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to why there is a sudden interest in UAV? All you are really doing is eliminating the most vital and one of the the more lowest cost items from the equation. I really do not understand the point. Besides, do you honestly believe that any flight medic in his / her right mind is going to board an air vehicle that is controlled by remote control? Do you believe that the FAA or NTSB will ever let it get off the ground? Not a chance in hell. Find a more cost effective fuel with the same lift and thrust capabilities as Jet-A or vehicles with lower operating / maintenence costs. Now that will save you some money.

Hell, why not just skip this intermediate step and focus on developing the "transporter" beam like in Star Trek? Now there's a "UAV" that people won't be as hesitant to ride on.

I wasn't aware that flight costs had gone up so drastically. I remember in the mid 1980's when it actually cost less to be flown to the hospital from a scene within the county than it did to go by ground. This is clearly one case where competition has not brought prices down!

Hello, I am an Engineer at Penn State University. We are researching a device that can replicate a life-flight system. This could be similar to a UAV. Can anyone help me find statistics on the actual, or typical costs of a life flight? I have heard all sorts of numbers, and I am looking for a more concrete number.

Thank You!

Brent

Best thing you can do is call around and ask the various medical services. Centre County...I believe you can try StatMedEvac, Life Flight. Further east is PennSTAR and University MedEvac.

bmanges@gmail.com

The Arizona Dept of Health-EMS has the rates for all their air ambulance providers on the website, sorry you'll have to google it, don't know it off the top of my head. Anyways, even though we may charge $6000 for a flight, we may only collect $2000 from insurance, and we do not bill the patient for the remainder.

As a side note, how about we look into reducing the number of HEMS accidents before we go looking at ways to make it worse. Can you imagine that poor EMT/pilot you're proposing having to choose between pt. care and flying the aircraft if something goes wrong?

Noah

The Arizona Dept of Health-EMS has the rates for all their air ambulance providers on the website, sorry you'll have to google it, don't know it off the top of my head. Anyways, even though we may charge $6000 for a flight, we may only collect $2000 from insurance, and we do not bill the patient for the remainder.

As a side note, how about we look into reducing the number of HEMS accidents before we go looking at ways to make it worse. Can you imagine that poor EMT/pilot you're proposing having to choose between pt. care and flying the aircraft if something goes wrong?

Noah

Computer, crash over there please. :D

Another hilarious thread... I must attempt to contribute.

We call the helicoper A LOT as my unit is very remote. It is 23 minutes in the air to definitive care and about 2 hours by ground if the weather is good. Last year it was around 8 thousand base price and I believe it to be around 10 thousand this year. Oh...forgot to mention that you get a flight nurse and two paramedics for this price as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.