What Do You Carry On Your Person?

Door access card (so we can get into the depots).

2 pens

small pocket notepad

penlight

1extra pr of gloves

portable radio whenever we leave the truck

That's it. Everything else we would ever need is in the kits that go with us. I used to carry shears with me, but any time we need them, we have used the ones from the kits and not the one I carried. So I got rid of them.

Boxes of gloves, gum, mints, water, flashlights, etc. are all in the cab of the truck (neatly in compartments - I hate a sloppy truck with crap laying everywhere)

I always carry my stethoscope with me, because if I leave it in the ambulance here, it gets stolen.

Yup, you read that correctly, I've had 2 stolen out of the ambulance already in the past 8 years.

Besides for the normal stuff, gloves, radio, shears, penlight, blah blah blah....

I know people probably think I'm a "wanker" for carrying my stethoscope around my neck, but that beats having to replace it for a THIRD time. So I take it with me....

Have a good day, everybody!

Connie

as has been said gloves, keys, radio, phone, tourniquet....

Why on earth would you carry a gluecometer?? Do you work with elderly/diabetic people?

depends what level of provider ....

i caryy a glucometer becasue it's within my scope , it's not within the scope for 'lay members' therefore they aren't on the vehicles - the QATs and Health Professionals carry their own becasue there isn't one o nthe vehicles ( with one exception - the immediate care team car - but that doesn't go out to play without suitable HCPs on board)

a blood glucose is a useful primary observation on collapsed and /or acutely confused patients and any unwell known diabetic and a secondary observation on most unwell patients...

Question on the glucometer==-

Is this your personal glucometer or is it company issued?

What is the quality control you go thru to make sure the readings are correct?

I knwo that when I was working the ER we had to keep a running daily check morning and night with the calibration chips and document that. Do you have to do that in the Ambulance it's been a while since I've been in the ambo.

if it is your personal glucometer do the ER's trust your equipment enough to take your reading or do you not tell them it's your personal item?

Just curious.

ruffems,in reply to your question, yes it is my own personal gluecometer but the calibration chips and sticks are supplied by the service and we use ten packs so it gets calibrated very often.

the reason we got them is because we are the ones training BLS in the diabetic clinics so its very easy to get them replaced, the meter not the sticks they have to come from the service.

as for the ER, they see what we treat, and if i brought in a diabetic after treating them what would be the first thing they would do regardless of what a previous reading was ????.

hope that answers your question.

Question on the glucometer==-

Is this your personal glucometer or is it company issued?

at the monet the one i have i got ...

What is the quality control you go thru to make sure the readings are correct?

chip calibration and storing the machine and strips at room temperature wehreever possible -folliw the guidance the manufacturer gives

I knwo that when I was working the ER we had to keep a running daily check morning and night with the calibration chips and document that. Do you have to do that in the Ambulance it's been a while since I've been in the ambo.

given the occasions i've foundout of date strips with glucometers on NHS vehicles ....

if it is your personal glucometer do the ER's trust your equipment enough to take your reading or do you not tell them it's your personal item?

Just curious.

it;s never really presented as an issue as anyone with a significant need for a BM should get it repeated at the ED anyway

Here is what I carry. In cas you can't tell, it's all on ones of those removable belts so I don't have to be sitting on it when I'm at the base. Sorry about the crappy quality, the webcam is not the greatest.

holster.jpg

holster%20contents.jpg

Gloves.jpg

The only thing not shown is my notepad which consists of the cheap flip pads you can buy for next to nothing.

Around here, everyone has a holster. It's odd to see a medic without one.

I keep these things on me at all times...

- Radio w/ Mic

- Alpha Pager

- 5 1/2" Trauma Shears

- Penlight

- Pens (one for the uniform shirt, one that I can contaminate and throw out)

- Critical Care Field Guide

- Gloves

- Note Pad

- Pocket Calculator

- Stethoscope

- S&W Pocket Knife

- Wrist Watch

- Wallet with Certs and other important items

I keep the following in my duty bag in case I need them:

- Palm TlX Handheld

- LED Flashlight

- Stinger XT Flashlight

- Gerber Multi-Plier Tool

- Copy of Protocols

- Rapid Rescue Spanish Field Guide (excellent for translating)

- Eye Protection

I keep a rescue bag on the truck as well:

- Bunker Pants/Coat

- Fire Boots

- Extrication Gloves

- Helmet

- HEPA Mask

- Traffic Vest

I carry:

Oakley glasses (the Im too sexy bad ass version)

Cell phone

Fisher space pens 2

4x6in rite in the rain nylon field note book

Pager.

Radiation pager

Spyderco endura knife

Leatherman tool "tactical" black Xti

Olive green handle trauma shears.

Digilight pocket LED light (white

Casio pathfinder watch

Wallet tactical nylon. (hopefully with money)

No stethoscopes. No superhero leather hipside surgery pouches.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.