What Do You Carry On Your Person?

• 5 months later...

When I worked on the ambulance, all I carried with me was my shears, pen, gloves (in my pocket, company pager and my cell phone. I used to carry a pen light, but after I lost my second one I stopped carrying it. I also had a backpack with a DVD player and DVDs as well as a "mandated reporter" pack that I made (protocol+form+stamped/adressed envelope. I actually did use it once too). In my clipboard I carried a little protocol pack that I put together to deal with idiot partners (DNR protocol was different than how it's normally taught) and transport protocol (for the RNs that like to insist that we call medics when were less than 5 minutes from the hospital).

At the water park, I carried a 2 way radio, shears, and a fanny pack (required for all CPR/first aid trained employees. The EMT-Bs could put what ever they wanted in it from the stock room as long as they had a CPR mask and a glove/gauze pack).

What no Oxygen Wrench?

:wink:

-w

I see your wink, but...

There's an O2 wrench attached to all of the unit keys. Besides that, it was busy enough that we always left the portable "charged." Does anyone actually unpressurized their regulators between calls?

We carry D and E tanks, they last 1 to 3 uses, we have an average of 3 to 8 jobs in an 8 hour shift.

in 24 hours the tanks / regulators don't get "depressurized", but they do get changed often.

The more you use a tool, the more important the quality of the tool is.

IMHO

-w

I don't need to carry an O2 wrench, we have the high tech portable cylinders that have a toggle built in to turn it on and off.

Ya, we tried those, they don’t last long on our mean streets, still a few floating around, but what do you do, when they break off?

-w

After every call the D and M lines are bled.

How many calls do you run in a shift?

-w

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.