What Do You Carry On Your Person?

Edit/Addition:

-A tongue depressor for opening mouth/teeth on ALOC traumas in order to insert OPA.

I've thought about carrying that to test for gag if i want to start thinking about intubation, or a finger splint, or to examine the airway for whatever reason, or other reasons that i can't think about right now. How does that work out for you?

Maybe asking this is my inexperience or sparky Paramedic student showing through lol.....

I use head tilt/chin lift for that ;)

Not gonna help ya much when they're ALOC and clenching their teeth. ;)

I've thought about carrying that to test for gag if i want to start thinking about intubation, or a finger splint, or to examine the airway for whatever reason, or other reasons that i can't think about right now. How does that work out for you?

Maybe asking this is my inexperience or sparky Paramedic student showing through lol.....

I would only carry stuff if you find yourself having the need for it in your area, rather than "just in case". I started carrying it after two times in a month that I couldn't get the teeth apart (on a motorycle TC) without sticking my fingers way in there (which some medic actually wanted me to do, yeah right!)...cases were the basic cross-finger open technique isn't enough. A couple weeks later, I used it on a shooting victim, when medic couldn't get jaw open. Only problem so far is that my hands are usually bloody by that point and I don't want to reach into my shirt pocket for it.

I've never checked for gag reflex with it, though...we just start sticking the OPA in and if they fight it, we don't use it.

1. Stethoscope....kind of funny on the way to a call I'll out gloves on and 'scope and for some reason I fell more 'medical'. I don't know that it needs to be there but it has gotten to be a habit.

2. Multitool in puch on belt rh side.

3. Shears rh cargo pocket stowed in the proved loops

4. LH cargo pocket Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia 2007 Classic shirt pocket edition

5. LH Pocket notepad, pen.

6. LH cargo pocket outside in glove pocket 2 pairs.

7. RH pocket Mag Lite LED flashlight

8. Wrist Watch with 2nd hand, actually got it as an engagement gift.

Having read this things I am thinkng of adding:

Sharpie marker

Post it Notes

02 key

Copies of licence (medical/driver)

• 2 months later...

Ok ill jump on board to...

Cell phone (mostly for calling into ERs because they never pick up the damn HEAR radio :evil:)

Shears between my belt and pants behind my back

then on the "whacker belt"

contura trauma pro holster w/ radio, LED minimag, pen and bandage shears

pouch with as many pairs of gloves as i can fit in there (usually 4 pairs)

kevlar/neoprean gloves (welcome to city EMS, lots of hypodermic needles and razors on pt's)

stinger rechargable light (everyone that calls 911 doesnt have power in their rowhome for some reason)

gerber mulitool

notpad, "hand gue" (antimicrobacterial alcohol stuff) and a flush or 3 in the left cargo

pocket

EMS field guide (ALS) and usually more gloves in the right cargo pocket

wallet with check card ONLY (dont carry cash in the city)

all my work IDs and cert cards

yeah, its alot, but then again, ive used it all at one point or another, and im damn glad i had it with me at the time :wink:

Shears, Pens, Mini mag in thigh pocket, ambo key, Handcuff Keys,( we do alot of mental health transports in full leathers, Tape, Hemostats (great for stopping a line or clipping to rookies), Pocket pc with a few field guides and PDR 07 also some music for stand bys, ht1250, S&W Swat knife, Alpha Pager, Sharpie, Can of Skoal, Cell phone

Backpack: Extra uni shirt and BDU's, Extra socks, Pack of Gum, and i am inviting a wanker comment by admitting this, a MRE, But i have planned on a 12 hr shift and had it roll to a 24 and rural Washington st gas stations close at 10pm. and my Volly 3 season ansi 3 Green and silver jacket ( Required to have on every scene)

Backpack: Extra uni shirt and BDU's, Extra socks, Pack of Gum, and i am inviting a wanker comment by admitting this, a MRE, But i have planned on a 12 hr shift and had it roll to a 24 and rural Washington st gas stations close at 10pm.

Hey, nobody is going to count food against you. Nothing wrong with that.

I would subtract 10 points for the BDUs and the Skoal though.

One pen, my wallet, pack of cigs, lighter. My partner is a whacker, he carries everything else. :lol:

Oh... I also bring my brain, the most useful thing that can be brought on scene.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.