Curiousity

Would you feel safe having any of your coworkers working on you if you were the patient?  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

This was already posted in the EMS Songs string on this site, but here goes anyway. Gives you an idea...

I wish I could take credit for this one, but it isn't mine. Some years ago, a group of EMS instructors got together, when they declared that there weren't any EMS "Country/Western" songs, and, with the cooperation of some studio musicians, created an album called "The EMS Country Express."

I can't locate my copy, but I wrote down the words to this song from that album before the tape went missing.

Is this what your supervisor goes through with you and your colleagues?

The Ringmaster (author unknown)

OK, ladies and gentlemen, lets get down to this critique.

I've looked at the reports, Seems we've had a busy week!

Now, right away I'd like to say some words about supplies.

Our inventory's pretty decent, and I realize

Sometimes you need an item for use in your own pack,

But whoever took the defibrillator had better put it back!

Now while I'm on equipment, and I've mentioned it before,

Before you leave the bay make sure your rig will clear the door.

As you know, we've ordered a new cot for unit 6,

'Cause once those things have been run over, they're impossible to fix!

Sometimes I feel like the ringmaster in the circus.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the keeper in the zoo.

If things don't change, I'll go insane before the year is through.

I wish that I could trade in this entire crew!

Now, the Mayor has cut our budget, and though revenge is on our minds,

Last week at his party you stepped too far out of line.

I guarantee that someone here will surely get the sack

If I find out which one of you spiked the punch with ipecac!

And, it seems we're getting sued again, I'm sorry to report,

But if you wouldn't stop while on a run you could keep us out of court!

It's nice to hear that you asked the patient if he liked his coffee black,

But no more stopping at the Donut Store with someone dying in the back!

My doctor tells me that I can't take this much longer.

He says my heart just cannot take the strain.

If I could, I know that I should get out just the same,

'Cause if my heart holds out, I'm sure to go insane!

A note here for the gentlemen: You gotta think before you act.

Some patients are quite sensitive, so try to use some tact.

When a woman asks you why a chest survey is being done,

Tell her that "It's necessary," and NOT "Because it's fun!"

Last of all, our protocols leave no room for debate:

The patient must be fully unconscious BEFORE you incubate!

OK, I hope you got that down. I hope enough's been said.

And, I hope I never hear of these things happening again!

I must relax, 'cause I can't let this job get to me

A first attack I believe I could survive,

The ER's good, the doctors there could treat and stabilize,

but I can't trust this crew to get me there alive!

Sometimes I feel like the ringmaster in the circus.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the keeper in the zoo.

If things don't change, I'll go insane before the year is through.

I wish that I could trade in this entire crew!

I would trust anyone at Cypress Creek EMS...but now I work for a transfer service with mostly basics...and some don't have a clue of what they are doing...so yeah...I would trust about 3 co workers...and the other let me see...8 or so...no freaking way...so please...if you want to be in EMS...know your stuff or get the hell out of the field...

Isn't that strange ? Some of the opinion is not to trust our own co-workers. Is this because we may know too much... or they know too little?

Are we trying to educate or encourage others to seek or improve their education or even maybe just to maintain their current level?

This scares me knowing the over-all (including mine) opinion is that we do not trust the ones we work with, we would not trust with-our own lives. If this is the case, what do you think the general public opinion is ?

Just something to think about....

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

Absolutely trust all of our personnel other than spelling. As far as technique and educational practice I would nominate all the personnel at Coffey Co. Hospital EMS Paramedics and EMT Is for the National Star of Life Award if I could.

Later All,

Dlagwa

The county in which I live, which provides service (the place I used to work) has gone downhill. Used to, you would be guaranteed at least one Paramedic on every truck, if not two. But, because everyone quit or has been fired, the service has gone to using Intermediates a lot of the time. My husband, however, still works there and is the ONLY MEDIC that I would allow to touch me. Knowing full well that a Paramedic can give more meds and perform more treatments, I hope that if I have a problem, he is on duty, not the Intermediate. Also, if this is the case, I will call the neighboring county EMS and have them come meet me at the county line if I have too.

With that said, the service I used to work at has hired a couple of Paramedics in which I question their ability. I have worked with one of those Paramedics who scares the hell out of me. She gave a small child 10 mg of Valium for a seizure and I had to bag the child to the hospital (four blocks away) while we had a First Responder drive us in. She also felt it was necessary to use combo defib pads on a patient who was involved in an auto accident that was still breathing with a pulse and responsive! This woman scares me. I only hope the state reads some of her reports and sees what an idiot she is.

The other Paramedic is questionable, as some of her skills are not very good (observed her on a couple of calls). It took her three times to pass her Paramedic test, and she did so with a 70. In fact, the other service she was working for had determined that she was not very good and let her go so she came here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.