Zoll Or Lifepack

Which one is better?  

75 members have voted

1. 1.

• Zoll M Series
    • Lifepack 12

I guess I too was in a unique position at my last AF assignment. Just before I moved to that assignment there was a lightning strike on the flightline that hit 11 guys simultaneously. As a small outpatient clinic this became a mass casualty incident. At the time of the incident, the clinic has 3 LP5's. Because of the lack of capability, they ran out and got half a dozen LP300s and 3 additional LP5's... another occasion for overkill too late. Luckily, all of that equipment met its life expectancy and we got the opportunity to decide what we wanted to replace them. We invited Zoll, MRx, HP, and the Physio guys out to demonstrate their equipment for us. MRx had no interest whatsoever. Our "committee" was all of the Med Group IDMTs, the EMS crew, EMS OIC , Med Control Doc and myself (IDMT and NCOIC EMS). I was also the supply guy with some control of the budget =) I personally called MRx half a dozen times to the local rep and got no reply. Zoll showed some interest but missed our first appointment and the second time showed up but forgot half the stuff for the demonstration. Our rep from from Physio was very interested and bent over backwards to accomodate us. I talked to the HP rep one time. He told me in no uncertain terms that the HP contract with the AF required us to buy nothing but HP and told me what options I could get on the monitors. I said "thanks, Ill get back to you".

We all got the opportunity to see the Zoll and play with it a little bit. We had 2 consistent complaints with it. The footprint was too large for our needs and the screen was too busy to keep things simple (all the colors were really pretty tho). I wasnt real excited about all the cables plugging into the top.

The LP12 really met our needs better. We needed one real basic one for our dental clinic with just monitor/defib/AED. The rest we needed the basics, SpO2, EtCO2 and NiBP. 4 of them we got cell transmission for 12 lead. The last one had hardline 12lead for the ER crash cart. Under the GSA contract, I think we got them for about $12,000. Zoll quoted us close to $19,000 each. The Physio guy came out twice to provide real indepth training to our crew, all of our nurses, and third time to address our Pro staff. Everyone from the Group Commander on down were very happy and impressed.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer LP12 because of the twirly button/ knob thingy

That is my favorite feature of the LP12. other than that I do not care for it too much. The large screen is nice, but not necessary to me.

I have had sufficient use of both Zoll and LP12 to know that I like the Zoll. I have never had a zoll fail in the middle of a call. Countless times I have had troubles with the LP 12. I have had the trouble of the phantom pacer spikes, and some of the BP reading problems mentioned earlier, but those are easily solved. Look for a pacemaker, or make my partner take a blood pressure ! :D

Zoll just seems to be a sturdy machine. I've seen them go through hell and back and they work just fine. I cannot say the same for the LP 12. They are so fragile. Zoll has a better size. The strips from a zoll seem to be better quality, in my opinion.

The number 1 thing I like about LP12 is the turny knob thingy. It makes marking interventions during a code a breeze, and just navigation through the menus a lot faster. Even with that feature, I still prefer a zoll.

• 2 weeks later...

I use LP 12's at my full-time job, Zoll M-Series at my part-time job, and Zoll E-Series at my volunteer department, and the more I use the Zoll M Series the more I like it. We use the Zoll Report software as well, and I like the continuity of using the Zoll equipment

As long as it's shocky and prints a cool little picture I'm happy.

We have Lifepaks, MRx and Zoll at uni, really doesn’t make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone use the new Zoll E Series out there? Here in Winnipeg we're having concerns about the weight of the monitors... hard case, metal mounting bracket, and the monitor comes in at a whopping 29.5 lbs.

Using Crestline Fleetmax units... combined with this monitor we're having a lot of ergonomic issues... already having Worker's Comp claims... and it's only been a week!

Is anyone else there having similar experiences? Solutions?

Thanks,

B.

Showing my age again, LP 5's were all the rage. And believe it or not, sometimes on a transfer where a LP5 was not available (not everyone had one yet), we had to lug what I think was a LP3 around from the old ER equiptment. Heavy, bouncy scope, misprinting, piece of trash. And thankfully worked our way up to the 12.

Forgot I actually started this thread......... Currently we use the Zoll M Series with the works (Cardiac Monitoring, Pacing, Defib, NIBP, ETCo2, SPo2, 12-lead interpretation). To be honest, besides the ghost pacer spikes, I've grown fond of them. I started this poll 2 years ago just out of curiosity. But, recently I was just advised that the Zoll E series will be our new monitor. Zoll is offering to accpet all of our CCT (Medstar and Criticare) and M series as trade in for the newer E series. So the information you guys provided will be used to help determine things. Thanks for your input.

And I also personally agree with Dust..... (You know I always do) It just goes with what you use. We really don't have much of a choice.

• 2 months later...
I'd be shocked if more than five percent of those who offer an opinion have actually used both models enough to judge.

People just go with what they know and stick with it. Otherwise, Lifepak would have gone out of business a long time ago.

Yea, everywhere around here (Oklahoma) uses LP12, that is all i've ever used so I am comfortable with it.

Does anyone use the new Zoll E Series out there? Here in Winnipeg we're having concerns about the weight of the monitors... hard case, metal mounting bracket, and the monitor comes in at a whopping 29.5 lbs.

Using Crestline Fleetmax units... combined with this monitor we're having a lot of ergonomic issues... already having Worker's Comp claims... and it's only been a week!

Is anyone else there having similar experiences? Solutions?

Thanks,

B.

We recently made the transition from the Zoll M series to the E series. They are definitely heavier and the cords are quite short for the add-ons. the other thing we have noticed is that when they are plugged in for charging, the batteries get extremely hot. We also utilize LifePak on some of the trucks. I guess I'm not really sure which I prefer. Kind of like what others have said, whatever they give me to use, I use.

The service I am riding with right now (as a paramedic intern) uses the Zoll E series. The metal bracket thing (to mount in the unit right?) sucks. It makes a lot of noise when you are going down the road. But otherwise the unit is good and rugged. Sometimes the NIBP can't get a reading but it is rare. When I was riding for my EMT-B the service I rode with used the Phillips MRx, and my program introduced me to the LP 12. The LP 12 is a beast. Like everyone else, I like the knob. I would personally recommend the Zoll E-series.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.