Smaller sized duty gear?

Riblett

Plus 5 for a very informative and helpful post!

There's a huge niche in this industry for a company willing to specialize in smaller and women's uniforms.

Word. In fact, I think we ought to be ENCOURAGING more normal sized women to enter EMS, not discouraging it by not making clothing for them. Hell, they ought to stop making the XL and above uniforms altogether! :cry:

Of course, the real root of the problem here is that your organizations insist on dressing you like cops and firemen, which seriously limits the available size options. I've never heard of a female nurse or doctor complaining about not being able to find a uniform that fits.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, the real root of the problem here is that your organizations insist on dressing you like cops and firemen, which seriously limits the available size options. I've never heard of a female nurse or doctor complaining about not being able to find a uniform that fits.

I can't argue with that.

Here's something else I found, Boys' old Navy "dark sea blue" snowboarder jacket: http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?c...;scid=425030002

Removable hood, lots of pockets, no zip access to your belt or microphone clips, but at $40 it's hard to beat.

For winter look North! Try calling Nicholls in Ottawa. I was in there the other day and saw 2 kinds of winter EMS jackets in XS. One was a very nice high-vis hybrid (Sleeves, lower abd high-vis, rest dark blue), the other was more traditional all dark blue. Both have reflective stripes as they are made specifically for EMS. We get -30C up here, so I'm betting these would do the trick for NC.

I think the high-vis was $179 ($US 159) and the other $149 ($132 US). Not sure what shipping would be but they could tell you.

My wife is the same size and I'm betting they would fit her.

Nicholls Tel: 613.747.3456

For winter look North! Try calling Nicholls in Ottawa. I was in there the other day and saw 2 kinds of winter EMS jackets in XS. One was a very nice high-vis hybrid (Sleeves, lower abd high-vis, rest dark blue), the other was more traditional all dark blue. Both have reflective stripes as they are made specifically for EMS. We get -30C up here, so I'm betting these would do the trick for NC.

Nicholls Tel: 613.747.3456

Do you know what brand they were?

Armani? :lol:

Seriously - I called the local store. The jacket I looked at is the 25" drytex duty jacket. Model I1010

The one I looked at has highvis sleeves as previously described. The web seems to show the regular colour.

http://www.rnicholls.com/catalog.php?lang=...uct&id=1845

These jackets come in XS size in both short and regular lengths. The lady I spoke to checked their inventory and the main office in Longueuil (pronounced "long gay") has 10 short and 4 regular in stock so could ship asap. The Longueuil # is 450-442-9215. It's in Quebec in case you haven't figured that out from the name but English should be no problem. (If it is, just call the Ottawa store)

It's hard to tell from the website but their gear is very good quality (I have pants and shirts from them and they are way better than another local company who shall go nameless) and their service excellent. I'm sure if you spoke with them and had your measurements, they will set you up with something appropriate.

Good luck, stay warm

Seriously - I called the local store. The jacket I looked at is the 25" drytex duty jacket. Model I1010

The one I looked at has highvis sleeves as previously described. The web seems to show the regular colour.

http://www.rnicholls.com/catalog.php?lang=...uct&id=1845

These jackets come in XS size in both short and regular lengths. The lady I spoke to checked their inventory and the main office in Longueuil (pronounced "long gay") has 10 short and 4 regular in stock so could ship asap. The Longueuil # is 450-442-9215. It's in Quebec in case you haven't figured that out from the name but English should be no problem. (If it is, just call the Ottawa store)

They won't ship it to the US because it's not made in Canada. Back to the drawing board

Maybe one of the brothers or sisters North of the border could get it for you and then ship it to you. Hopefully we can trust each other with some money and merchandise, since we often have trust each other with our lives!

Sarge

Maybe one of the brothers or sisters North of the border could get it for you and then ship it to you. Hopefully we can trust each other with some money and merchandise, since we often have trust each other with our lives!

Actually, he recommended Gerber products, which I somehow overlooked in my previous sweep. They look okay (they go a little overboard on the reflective striping, but at least I won't get runover in my totally hot navy-on-navy outfit) come in XS AND are even designed for EMS use.

I'm going to try ordering one (since it's getting pretty dire up here), and I'll report back.

I am glad that from Time to time my Volunteer drpartment will measure some of the folks and get them the newest and then hand out the older stuff to the junior members. With haveing members in all size ranges, we at least can usually fit everyone reasonably well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.