5 things EMS is doing right...

Wow, we all listed 5 problems in no time at all. But we can't seem to find 5 good things! Funny thing is, I'm having a hard time with that one myself......

But if I had to say the best thing about EMS, its the people. I work with some damn fine people. And when someone in EMS needs something, my partners are right there for one of their own. I've got personal experience with that one.

1) That it exists at all. Imagine your world without it.

2) That it's sufficiently free of government control that agitators for systemic change and improvement have a chance at making such change happen. Compare that to, say, making fundamental changes in the structure of the federal government.

3) That it's sufficiently free of government control that it is staffed by individuals who elect to be there. Compare that to military conscription.

4) That it provides opportunities for personnel to increase their interest in the sufferings of those they would otherwise never meet or whom they would studiously avoid.

5) It initiates individuals into the Mysteries of the Temple of Spellcheck.

(Clearly, these are not listed in order of importance.)

One thing we're doing right is having forums like this that are getting national exposure and educating ourselves at how far behind the eight ball we really are.

Identifying our shortcomings and voicing ideas on how to fix them.

The pay is getting better(especially in the better run companies)

Becksdad, hit it on the head as well by mentioning the people we work for. For the most part and there are always exceptions, Where I work, we have some very fine Paramedics that are educated and good at what they do.

ok well that's 4....best I could do.

Take care,

Todd

1. I agree with the "it exists."

2. Training and education. Is it where it should be or needs to be? Nope. That said, look where it's come from. We could be sitting around with our collective thumbs up our butts running everything code 3 as fast as can be.

3. Local flexibility. Do we need some sort of basic national structure? Sure, but the demands will always very by geographical location. It would be insane to think that EMS in Hawaii has the same demands as EMS in Alaska or that EMS in large cities has the same demands as in the boondocks. Local regions shouldn't be hamstrung when it comes to expanding the local scope of practice as needed.

4. Maturity. We are starting to move away from the voodoo beads and treatments that are "logical," but harm the patient and starting to move towards evidence based practices.

1. Progressiveness. Free from the chains of tradition that plays havoc with the modernization of firefighting equipment, EMS changes and grows significantly every year. Compare a Lifepak 5 with a Lifepak 12 sometime.

2. Inclusiveness. EMS brings aboard a far more diverse work force than police or fire could ever hope too.

3. Flexibility. EMS gets it right in the modern field by being made up of pretty much autonomous units. On an MCI, if a fire chief is incapacitated, things can get ugly. On an MCI, no one listens to the EMS supervisors anyway so what happens to them doesn't matter.

4. Endurance. Spit on us, kick us, don't pay us, call us names and forget us later, someone will still be there when you have chest pains.

5. Review. We love to pick each other apart. No blue wall of silence here, you screw up, and by God everyone in the service will know it, and sometimes its a darn good thing too.

1. Camaraderie. Good providers always have each others back, and will take care of each other when one is out. All I have to say is 10-13 party (Asys knows what I'm talking about).

2. There is no better feeling in the world than when someone thanks you for saving their life.

3. Interesting people in interesting situations. It's funny.

4. Being allowed behind the yellow tape.

5. Chicks dig medics.

...EMS changes and grows significantly every year. Compare a Lifepak 5 with a Lifepak 12 sometime.

Haha! I'm not sure if you intended that double entendre or not, but it sure was funny either way! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.