why are you still in ems or not

thecroc

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the only thing I don't suck at.

Ditto.

I've done a variety of jobs from landscaping to retail to office work to EMS. This was the only thing I found that I could do without people constantly telling me I fu%$ed something up. And, if my boss and medical director are to be believed, it seems I do it well. Add all that, plus the fact that I enjoy what I do, I find I'm still here.

So there you go.

Not that I don't keep an eye out for what else is out there. Not that I don't have a variety of interests. But, this is my job. I do it well. I strive to do it better each day I go into work. And for now, that challenge still motivates me to continue and improve. When it no longer does is when I'll leave.

-be safe.

This is the longest I've stuck with one job without becoming pregnant or returning to school. Even though I plan on being a nurse practitioner when I grow up...I know being an EMT will always be in my blood.

...Because it got me interested in medicine, and is my foothold towards med school

...Because the job is flexible, I can work any time I want and fit in schooling as I wish.

...Because it is different every day. I am rarely bored, and I never know what to expect next.

...Because it helps be build skills that I think are valuable elsewhere. Not just the medicine, but the repetition of thinking on your feet, analyzing situations, talking with people who are stressed, remaining calm when everything else is going crazy, etc etc.

...Because the pay is just enough to get me by for now. haha. I would love more pay, but I dont think I could do this job (financially) for even a single dollar less an hour.

...Because of the occasional (even if unvoiced) "thank you" we get from patients. It doesnt happen all the time, but when it does -- it makes alot of this worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.