Canadian ems vs U.S. ems

kount

Ok....... i have heard the arguments between canada and us and what protocols are what in both places..... so decided to see if we can get some input here.....

Which has higher standards.... U.S.... or Canada?

ok... now lets see the different between the protocols......

If you say you already know about education differences, then what do you mean when you ask about "higher standards"?

It seems that you will just open up a discussion that has happened many times.

Ok well here it is so we don't need to go through it again... speaking generally of course:

Canadian paramedics have lots of education. US EMTs do not. When comparing skills and drugs to education, US EMTs can do a lot more than Canadian paramedics.

Once and for all...

Canada in general has greater education for ALL levels of paramedic compared to the US.

Generally speaking there are 3 practical levels of EMS that function in a 911 system.

Those levels are PCP (Primary Care Paramedic), ACP (Advanced Care Paramedic), and CCP (Critical Care Paramedic). I will leave out EMR here because (even though they are in the CMA for EMS) they GENERALLY do not function in 911 EMS and all "paramedic" classes are separate from EMR.

PCP - Usually around 1 year education, but other provinces (like Ontario) do 2 years post secondary education to be a PCP. PCP is very competitive and it is common for people to have a 4 year university degree PRIOR to entering PCP college schooling. PCP is normally the entry into 911 EMS for most provinces. GENERALLY SPEAKING procedure wise they are equivalent to what a suprising number of EMT-B's can do on this forum. Education wise they are not, and usually encompass (Ontario speaking) about 75-85% of the ACP didactic education.

A link to a well respected Ontario PCP program. http://postsecondary.humber.ca/07651.htm

ACP - Is usually 1-2 years education FOLLOWING your PCP education and usually FOLLOWING some independent experience 911 as a PCP. Greater scope of practice and adding some finer points to didactic education. Clinical has procedures that are not done in PCP clinical. GENERALLY SPEAKING it is equivalent to EMT-P's in the US. However again, Ontario and other provinces right now need 3 years education to be an ACP. Also our scope of practice is generally less than what EMT-P's have on these boards. Again, scope of practice doesn't make you a better paramedic.

http://www.conestogac.on.ca/jsp/cecatf/health/acp.jsp

CCP - 1 year on top of ACP education. Very rare and are usually reserved for critical care transports. They ARE NOT comparable to the CCEMT-P or "critical care paramedic" that are in the US. "Critical care" paramedics in the US from what I have seen have that 2 week UMC course. Obviously 2 weeks doesn't = 1 year. CCP's are basically only flight medics in Ontario.

The only program doesn't have a link right now.

Canada > US education. What don't people understand?

Canada > US education. What don't people understand?

Is it really better, or are Canadians just slower. All hail the glorious American primary education system that prepares people for EMT courses.

[that's a joke, son, you got to laugh a little]

• 2 weeks later...
I will leave out EMR here because (even though they are in the CMA for EMS) they GENERALLY do not function in 911 EMS and all "paramedic" classes are separate from EMR.

I would have to disagree here, There is not a whole lot of work for EMRs on services especially here in Alberta, they usually work on the rigs. Everyone has to start somewhere right? I mean in our service, they run calls, some are more competent than some of our EMT's. They get paid half what McDonalds employees get paid, get the the calls where there is puke and other fluids are all over them, they clean the unit after every call, get stuck in a area where there is 1 call ever like 4 days, and they still love their job. I would have to say that is dedication, and I would suspect that its thank kind that will make great emt's and medics.

Just my 2 Cents

I would have to disagree here, There is not a whole lot of work for EMRs on services especially here in Alberta, they usually work on the rigs. Everyone has to start somewhere right? I mean in our service, they run calls, some are more competent than some of our EMT's. They get paid half what McDonalds employees get paid, get the the calls where there is puke and other fluids are all over them, they clean the unit after every call, get stuck in a area where there is 1 call ever like 4 days, and they still love their job. I would have to say that is dedication, and I would suspect that its thank kind that will make great emt's and medics.

Just my 2 Cents

There are plenty of EMR positions to work 911 calls in smaller rural areas of Alberta. The pay is poor compared to industrial, so most seem to work the rigs where the real money is. I always see adds for 911 EMR employment, although they are always in small hick towns. Unfortunately, in the patch, there are alot of shitty EMR's that are only in it for the money. They freeze when some thing happens or totally f up. Those are the ones that give the EMR level a bad name. On the flip side, there are also alot of very good ones that are using it as a stepping stone, using the down time to study up, and saving thier money to further their education so that they can work on the bigger services.

VS-EH, how do you figure that all "paramedic" courses are seperate from EMR? That's just not true here (in Alberta). You need to have EMR as a prerequisite to take your EMT (PCP) course in Alberta, and your EMT to take medic school. Also, in each course starting at EMR, you learn about skills for the next level up. How is that seperate? The question was about Canada as a whole, not Ontario itself. (I hear T.O. is the centre of the universe :lol: ..kidding, you can relax now)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.