WMU works with Stryker to design Medical personel shoe/boot

BTW, Lucky~13, it's good to see you back!

Thanks, school's been keeping me pretty busy. Who knew you had to memorize so much stuff in emergency medicine? :D

Don't underestimate a good pair of shoes. I've been pimping these bad boys. Comfortable, stylish, and useful in EMS.

Side note: I've taken a lot of pride in my appearance when I'm out on calls. Every single patient I had during my clinical's thought I was the boss of the crew that just rolled up. Should've seen their face when I identified myself as a EMT student. :D

:shock:

The "cool factor" is more important than any other concerns. Wankers won't wear it if it doesn't look cool.

Does this include being 12" tall so one can parachute their BDU's? :roll:

Generally I wear sneakers on most volunteer calls although I know the risks. Its usually because I end up riding shift at the last minute and cannot go home to get my boots in time since I barely make it to the building on time from work.

My boots are usually work boots you can get at walmart. My current pair I bought at a military surplus store. It was the last pair in my size and was actually the display pair. I don't recall the brand name at the moment (if I heard it I'd recognize it) but they are the most comfortable I've had to date.

• 7 months later...

Ok here's my take

Leave an option for no safety toe. Sorry I've been doing EMS 11 years and do not see a need for safety toe. You want it? cool if not? cool too.

As far as dress shoes go, I don't think so. I wore boots to my wedding. They can be shined properly. Personally I'm a fan of a 4" to 6" boot but if you want 8's sure why not. I don't think that 10" or higher belong in EMS except where there is a physiological need (some people actually need that level of support.)

I do not like all leather boots either. I like having the ventilation of the nylon/ whatever they are panels.

Bloodborne pathogen protection is a plus depending on how it's done. I have a pair of Leather BBP protected gloves and all that is is a plastic liner between the leather and the liner. Granted it makes the gloves reallllly warm but that may not be so good in boots.

They need to accommodate wide widths.

I really wish I could figure out how to download (upload, too, for that matter) pictures of the boots that FDNY EMS uses. They are 10 inch high, black and a dull yellow, some kind of ridge like design for toe protection.

It is not supposed to be used for anything except where we might come into contact with blood-borne pathogens, along with the new (assigned only a year ago) "turnout" coats and trousers (I don't know or understand the difference between "turnouts" and "bunker" gear, but save that for a different string).

Wait one...

Isn't that every call we get assigned?

We used to use a black leather and fabric "combat" style boot, which we had to keep in a high gloss state. When assigned the new style boot, they never called for the return of the old, which I am allowed to use, and frequently do.

Hijacking the string for a short few moments, if your agency uses any type boot, zipper, lace, or laced in zipper style, does the agency have you wear the uniform pants leg sleeves tucked in, bloused out, or simply worn over the boot? FDNY EMS has them worn over the boot, however, I have seen a few of the guys, mostly military vets, wearing them tucked in.

I think there are already enough quality boots that meet the standards listed. Maybe Stryker can come up with something that's more economical than Haix boots. I can't afford almost $200 for boots. I don't think Stryker makes anything inexpensive.

I would like to try some composite toe boots. The steel toes give me calluses on the inside of my big toes. FYI, turnout and bunker gear are the same thing.

We don't require steel toe shoes/boots. We provide steel toe boots/shoes once a year at no cost. If you don't want to wear steel toes, then you have to pay for your own.

Shayne

That is one thing nice about the EMS in the FDNY: We are issued the boots, and do not have to pay for them.

It does NOT, however, stop us from kvetching about the weight, longevity (lack of), styling, and color of said boot.

• 2 weeks later...

Lightweight

Waterproof/BBP proof

Breathable

flexible

Durable

Safety toe and shank

I like the idea of a side zipper, maybe like motorcycle boots with a flap that covers the zipper.

Speaking of motorcycle boots, some of them have very good ankle protection and anti-twist properties. Most are waterproof.

Ideally, it would be nice to have zipper vents that open when you aren't worried about BSI (in-between calls for instance). Even if the boots are a little bit warmer when all the vents are closed, being able to open the vents and cool off your feet the rest of the time would make up for it.

Obviously make it in a variety of heights for different preferences. I like a hiking boot style upper, but much prefer the fit and flexibility of tennis shoe lowers.

Unless a new boot is drastically different in terms of features, performance or price, there is no point in even making it.

• 1 month later...

There is no need to reinvent the wheel here, as there is already the One Boot.

http://www.copshoes.com/c-search-and-rescu...-T834-6760.html

These are all I wear. Light, comfortable, and even after an entire day of 95 degree weather, my feet stay dry. They shine up nicely, and the soles last really well.

At $139.00/pr, they're hard to beat.

Stryker should stick to improving their stretchers that get out of adjustment after 3 months of use and won't fold to go in the truck... ;P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.