you know you're in urban ems if...

Had a guy from my medic class- good friend of mine that worked in Camden- now in a much slower place....hehe he calls it heaven

I worked in cinci for a while and well, that was entertaining, first time I saw someone clear a triage desk screaming they're coming after me ! and well, a herd of ghettos following with guns, and yeah, cop is sitting outside in his car. Needless to say, triage there now has a full triage window and I no longer work there !

Now where I work, we have our routine entertainment, especially early sat mornings at the awful waffle (cops congregate there for good reason six to ten squad cars on average). It's quite amusing, and I've worked more than one incident there.

You definitely know when you work for urban ems when you are proud of the title of GHETTOMEDIC !

• 4 months later...

well in bangkok now we have bls at the scene in a quick 35 min, much to say not much is needed of them when they get there. the usual thing here is mutiplie car MVA involving little scooters, they fly into buses like rockets, dead on impact. its really quit distressing.

• 2 months later...

Camden isnt that bad, we just have to make sure PD is at every call and try not to stop without our doors locked.

However when the yokal from indiana comes up to you and asks, "Scuz me' mam' can u direct me to Ka DAM?" you tell them to cross the bridge to PA before they get themselves shot :lol: it took me the longets time to actually figure out where he was trying to go.

The best was a time when a local gang whiped out their guns and scared away a junky begging at the window for drugs at a redlight. Yelling dont F* with the docs man!

Working nights in camden is fun :).

Here's another one for the list..

You know your working in urban ems when you cant get in the ER without going through metal detectors and 2 secutity stations. (one to get in the parking lot one at the door)

When the armed hospital police search your trauma pt for weapons before your allowed to take him into the bay.

• 3 months later...

-- You actually look forward to those two hour off-load times in the E/D to put your feet up and relax.

-- You're laughing at the crews working their tails off... while you sit in the E/D for two hours waiting to off-load!

-- You're using hospital supplies to treat your pt in the hallway instead of depleting your rig.

Camden isnt that bad, we just have to make sure PD is at every call and try not to stop without our doors locked.

However when the yokal from indiana comes up to you and asks, "Scuz me' mam' can u direct me to Ka DAM?" you tell them to cross the bridge to PA before they get themselves shot :lol: it took me the longets time to actually figure out where he was trying to go.

The best was a time when a local gang whiped out their guns and scared away a junky begging at the window for drugs at a redlight. Yelling dont F* with the docs man!

Working nights in camden is fun :lol:.

Here's another one for the list..

You know your working in urban ems when you cant get in the ER without going through metal detectors and 2 secutity stations. (one to get in the parking lot one at the door)

When the armed hospital police search your trauma pt for weapons before your allowed to take him into the bay.

I miss my Camden nights!! They were mostly fun. But I never relied on those cops. If they ever showed up in the first place.

...if both you and your partners have had shooters come back to the ("safe") scene right next to your head and emptied their gun into your patients head while you held their c-spine.

...you literally get over 200 people crowding around your shooting scenes

...you have critical stab patients arrive by ambulance at trauma centers with no prior notice b/c their base lines were busy

You know all the bums by first and last name, SS#, where they hangout, what they drink, and all their ins. info.

A nosebleed call turns into a code that you work on the boardwalk in front of 50 + people. All of whom go "ahhh" when you crack ribs and when you defib.

And then get angry when Paramedic yells at them, so you end up calling for "ACPD to respond forthwith to location for an extremely hostile crowd" :roll:

You just don't go down certain streets without ACPD

You get caught f*cking up on DriveCam, and get yanked from driving, you become an EDP from all the charts you write.

You PAY people to take your Fri and Sat night shifts.

Ahh, Urban EMS......I wont miss you a bit!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.