you know you're in urban ems if...

You know you are in an Urban EMS, when the supervisor yells at you for perceived delays on a call, by saying, "You're in the 'Big City', now, son, not in a slow moving Kansas 'One call a month' town!"

(Please laugh along, I'm saying Kansas, as that's where the last posting was from. I've never even been to that state, and am just trying to be silly.)

• 2 weeks later...
You work in the most dangerous city in the country, per the surveys.

As I AM working in NYC, was that directed at either myself or the FDNY EMS, or just a general comment? I take no offense. (Yet.)

NYC? Most dangerous city?

How did they run those numbers, the same way you run SSM and unit utilization hours? All numbers can be juggled. 8)

I was beginning to think that my city is more dangerous. Multiple stabbings and shootings this past weekend. Glad I was on vacation.

How did they run those numbers, the same way you run SSM and unit utilization hours? All numbers can be juggled.

I forget who originated the line:

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics!

You know your in Urban EMS provider when you sign off at the hospital with a patient and the Dispatcher kindly informs you that he has your next "Emergency" waiting for ya...and BTW could ya hurry it up so he can assign you the call cuz ur GONNA GET IT!!!

Ace844

When all the units have to be fumigated each month to keep down the roach population.

When all police fire and ems units are told to take cover in parking garages, under overpasses anywhere to have something solid overhead at midnight on new years eve to dodge all the rounds returning to earth.

When the supe's only job at the hospitals is to make sure units clear

as fast as possible as 341's are holding.

Don't miss the fun times in Miami at all......

>When all police fire and ems units are told to take cover in parking >garages, under overpasses anywhere to have something solid overhead >at midnight on new years eve to dodge all the rounds returning to earth.

Oh give me a F---ING break. Why do some people insist EMS is the first 20 mins or so of "Saving Private Ryan"? If a directive like that came down from the top, I'd say I would comply only if I could yell "INCOMING!" and dive dramatically for something

I mean, is this just a bit of "We didn't really look into it, but just do it because it heightens the tension", or has a police, fire, or EMS official actually sustained wounds, at or around midnight, in your neck of the woods?

That's like the ambulance being unable to move after loading a patient, until a LEO or Firefighter spanks the rear doors twice after closing, thereby both releasing the brakes and activating the siren. The Emergency Lights and siren will be on while transporting a DOA from the scene, too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.