you know you're in urban ems if...

<!--quoteo(post=200204:date=Jan 10 2009, 06:25 PM:name=Richard B, the EMT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Richard B, the EMT @ Jan 10 2009, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=200204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow. What does that mean when you have, in a row, Church's, Kennedy's, Kansas, Popeye's, and KFC chicken places? None of them a drive through, either.

We have a few up in Harlem, quite close by the world famous Apollo Theater.

Clarify also: Chicken and waffles, as one offering on the menu, or just available from the menu, near each other?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He's referring to roscoes! Roscoes chicken and waffles! It is literally, chicken and waffles together, with a butt load of gravy (yes gravy, not syrup)... There's one in East LA that I know of...

There is one in east Compton...company I used to work for there had one right down the road.

• 1 year later...

When every street corner or light has a pawn shop, liquor store, barred windows, and the homeless guy that everyone knows by name all in one.

Edited by Zablackw

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great posts, everyone! I laughed at some and shuddered with horror at others but since I just started emt school and plan to work in an urban area (Atlanta, as in Grady (the city's level 1 trauma center, located conveniently downtown near the projects)) at least I have an idea what to expect! I'll let y'all know what I find when I graduate and get out there....

• 3 weeks later...

When you rely on the gang members to provide scene security at shootings cause the cops have too many calls stacked up to respond

When you see an OG beat the ever-lovin ______ out of a new member for messing with the "docs" on shootings

When the "spots" have pictures of Cop uniforms and EMT uniforms so they dont get confused and blast the EMTs

You know the new gang members, and the gang Lt. stop by the station to tell you when they are doing initiations and you stock extra

You learned to eat a whole new world of food

Ive always had a good relationship with the gangs, and i always had an understanding with most of the Lts and officers. We would eat in the same Church's and Red Tower's. We told them we dont care if they have drugs on them or in them, we dont care about affiliation, were just here to treat and help. We have one rule, and thats no weapons on the truck, and ive been on shootings when some of the senior members would clear their boys before we transported. we got along great, and we usually got a discount at the local spots

• 1 month later...

you might be in urban ems if your patient says "he done fell out" when he just simply passed out

you might be in urban ems if police cringe when they hear your requesting back up at your location

you might be in urban ems if your wearing kevlar as part of your uniform

you might be in urban ems if you have ever considered inventing a auto eject narcan pen.

you might be in urban ems if you believe hysterical black woman is a actual syndrome.

you might be in urban ems if you have to learn a whole new language in order to care for your patients

Any others i'm missing?

you might be in urban ems if your patient says "he done fell out" when he just simply passed out

you might be in urban ems if police cringe when they hear your requesting back up at your location

you might be in urban ems if your wearing kevlar as part of your uniform

you might be in urban ems if you have ever considered inventing a auto eject narcan pen.

you might be in urban ems if you believe hysterical black woman is a actual syndrome.

you might be in urban ems if you have to learn a whole new language in order to care for your patients

Any others i'm missing?

Seriously, Mike?

You might be in urban EMS if you have lost all semblance of respect for cultural differences in the population you serve.  You might be in urban EMS if you belittle the people you serve for their differences in speech and reactions to stress.  You might be in urban EMS if you think you're cool for what you just posted. This is what you're demonstrating through your post. Is that really what you're about?

What's sad is that you haven't even really started in EMS yet.  Yet with this post you're already demonstrating some really questionable personal characteristics of how you approach people.

And what would an auto eject do?  Are you ejecting the narcan?  That would make it pretty much useless to eject it, don't you think?  I find injecting narcan works *much*, much better.

edit: point clarification.

Edited by paramedicmike
  • Like 1

Im terribly sorry to have offended you. But heres a bit of background. Source of each and every one of these was from my mom was a paramedic working for Kansas city, Kansas and Missouri. Over her ten year career there she had a man put a gun to her and her partners face while only trying to help his child.

She lost a friend of hers due a crazy gunman that went into her station and killed her and her partner.

Another of her friends almost killed by a raging lunatic who blew up two houses; opened fire with a rifle on all of the police,ambulances, and firetrucks below where her co worker was shot. A ballsy firemen ran out in the gunfire to scoop her up and get her out of the what was standby zone that was supposed to be safe.

Paramedicmike have you ever seen a rig cut up like swiss cheese from bullet holes in the back of your shop. Try seeing that when your 13 and you know your mom is doing that and it couldve been her truck. Ive also rode with her on the trucks as the EMS service at the time had a ride along program. And only being a teen and hearing gunshots on a scene that was thought to be safe and was "secured" because the shooter didnt leave; It tends to leave a lasting memory.

Police don't patrol certain parts of Kansas city, KS/MO because they are so bad and MAST (ems service used at that time) were backed up by MO Police because KS Police wouldn't.

I'm not talking out my ass when I post here;their is simply no room for it because Dwayne would give me one helluva spanking if I did.

In regards to the narcan remark

I do see what you mean with that and i'll correct it promptly.

I have yet to be a urban EMT. But I will say I have been inside urban ems. Even as a fly on the wall or the person squeezing the ambu bag every 5 seconds on a Intubated GSW patient. Its shows a side of society that makes me question if ethics and morals exist anymore.

And no. I don't think im cool for writing this. This was a very humorless/cynical post. Those you might be urban ems if.......are reasons why I dont work the ghettos.

In KCMO/KCKS the inner city african american population had a entirely unique language. The I done fell out was just one of the unique phrases that the newbies had trouble with.

I would like to make it clear to everyone on this post.I love my job. If it wasn't for those ride along's and my mom I wouldn't be a EMT/ paramedic student. I do love people and I love having the honor of lending a hand to someone whom I have the opportunity to truly make a difference in ones life. And on the holy day I get a thank you Im gratified. And if I don't i'm happy and content that knowing deep in my heart that they are.

I just hate the ghettos. Especially KCK,KCMO

heres the links to the shootings

http://forums.studen...ad.php?t=113548

http://www.kmbc.com/...094/detail.html

Okay take that back. It seems I cannot edit it to correct at this present time

Edited by Mike Ellis
  • Like 1

Yes young grasshopper: I have been in those situations. I've heard the sound of 9mm autofire hitting the wall over our heads and had to take trucks out of service due to too many gsw's in the electrical system.  I survived the heroin wars of the early 80's in Hartford Ct. and lived to tell the stories of the horrors of gang rivalries killing innocent children.

A slow Saturday night was anything less than five shootings in the trauma bay At Hartford Hospital

all that was long before you were born or even thought about. There are many here that have the same experiences and we don't denigrate any one race or ethnic minority.

If you don't like the hood , don't work there

If you feel the need to laugh at societies underprivileged, then this is not the profession for you.

Coping old sad jokes is not cool.-1

• Like 3

Understood. Ill keep the cynical comments to myself. Apologies to the elder members of the forum.

But might I ask what makes my post different from flamingemt2011

http://www.emtcity.com/topic/20985-you-might-be-ghetto-if/

I realized it is in the funnies but from my own general perspective the same principals are in both. (Which if I was trying to be cute I wouldve posted it here)

Enlighten me so I dont upset the balance of the order and keep my growing pains to a minimum.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.