you know you're in urban ems if...

LMAO

I know this thread is old but it does bring up an one of my pet peeves. I cannot speak for someone else, but of all the urban providers I know, nearly every single one I know is guilty of using these terms- status hispanicus, "aye" tach, or making some other stereotypical/off color, generalizing comment at one time or another. And that would include folks who are part of those various groups. I've worked with Jewish doctors(and even an Orthodox one) who was guilty of making stereotypical comments about his own religion and people. Does this make them a bad person? No. Does it mean they are racist, a bigot, or xenophobe? Nope. It means they are HUMAN.

That said-if someone says they do not engage in such humor or make such references, good for them. Clearly they are a more evolved human being than most of the people I know and have worked with in my 30+ years in EMS. I have found that the few people who I have met that do get bent out of shape at such comments/phrases/comparisons, they fall into one of 2 catagories. Either they have limited or no exposure to such groups or environments(new to the business or very limited history (limited call volume), or they are promoting an image or attitude that is not actually indicative of their true beliefs but still want everyone to think their behavior and attitudes are above reproach.

Whatever. I have used such phrases, made similar comments and observations, and yet I would put my patient care and customer satisfaction up against anyone.

I realize EMS is constantly striving to be a professional group, but here's a little secret- doctors, nurses, cops, lawyers, judges, and every other profession have similar off color/unPC/stereotypical humor or comments they enagage in every single day. Does that make them less of a professional, or somehow unqualified to practice their profession? Not in my book.

Sorry, I just hate the holier-than-thou crap.

end rant.

• Like 1

My last entry on this:

Herbie : you are correct that those in the business have to develop a gallows humor and tend to be crude at times. However young grasshopper is just starting his career and is actively out applying for work

.He was very easy to find by a quick web search using nothing more than his name and a location mentioned in his posts here.

What do you want to know about him???

My point on this is: If you are going to be out looking for work , you really can't afford to be putting such statements out on the web. A human resource nightmare to be certain.

When reviewing the files of applicants most places I know do a web search and check such places as facebook for info. How many teenagers and 20 somethings thought it was cool to post pics of them doing something questionable on their FB photo wall?

How many made comments on a website they though was anonymous?

In the past criminal background checks and driving records were the only thing checked in the hiring process. Not anymore.

I sat on a review board for a career department , that gave us a complete electronic search of the potential hire's. Several of the candidates were dropped at the recommendations of the review board due to inappropriate postings on the web. That shot of you in HS with the beer in hand or joint in your lips is public record once it's on the web. The offcolor or racist comment made as a joke doesn't play out that way with human resources.

Me : I'm not too worried about what I post as retirement is near after 40+ yrs working the street.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.