you know you're in urban ems if...

I saw this post as an opportunity to add a few as well. Although my post hit home far more than the others. I do now understand that this is not always the case in some ghettos such as what bullets stated where gangs and its officials had a respect for the EMS that worked their streets. Which I do wish to say that's a big step in the right direction as far as scene safety and being able to provide quality patient care.

But I didn't believe my post belonged in the funnies of the forum as I wasn't trying too be cutesy and those comments are extremely close to home and are difficult to take in a lighthearted manner.

*Note: I re-read through the entire post and realized it was moved from another post. I did not realize it was posted somewhere else and moved. So I can now partially understand why my post definitely didnt float well here. And It seems I might have made a bad judgement call in placing that post here rather than the funnies.*

Or am I still missing something

I've been watching this thread, getting more pissed all along, for a few days, but stayed out of it knowing that Mike E can take care of himself...But...Holy shit!!

You mean to tell me P Mike that you've not heard the terms 'staticus hispanicus' and the like? I hate those terms, but I'll tell you what man, I hate the selfrighteous, "I am so pure that I can't imagine what you might be referring to!" bullshit even more!

You mean to tell me that you've never been in the back of an ambulance with a well/or minimally acute man/woman of certain ethic backgrounds and been majorly pissed off because you couldn't possible determine what the problem was because of the screaming, moaning, fake attempts to hyperventilate and vomit, etc? You've never been there? Bullshit.

You know what, you don't like his comments, ok. You've told him so, and he's apologized.

But C'mon, he makes a good point. There were others in that thread, while you were participating(!) that talked about tramps, and bums, and hobos, and frequent fliers, yet they didn't get this whole line of shit. And if he started out in the funny forum, (which I'm pretty sure he did as I think I moved this conversation there when it become off color), and was then moved, then there is nothing wrong with his posts at all as he put the politically incorrect stuff where it belonged and someone else put it where it didn't.

At least Island can admit that he understands where he's coming from but chooses not to think, speak, post in those terms. Not because he's to pure to have such thoughts, but because they're not productive nor professional.

But the "I don't know what you mean? I have no idea what you might be referencing but because it uses the word 'black' I'm certain that it's offensive! And once you're as pure and professional as me you'll come to see that it's not possible to think, or feel, or say, or understand any politically correct ideas ever again!"

Wanting better things for him is one thing, but now you're just flogging him so that you can wave your purity flag for the world to see. There's nothing productive happening here. He's trying to maintain some self respect and seems opposed to telling you to stop being an arrogant asshole. I didn't want to have to, but you just wouldn't friggin' let it go!

You should be ashamed of choosing such a target. He's apologized, and apologized, and groveled, and explained, and tried to change his posts...

Fuck's sake.....Give it a rest Brother...

Dwayne

You mean to tell me P Mike that you've not heard the terms 'staticus hispanicus' and the like? I hate those terms, but I'll tell you what man, I hate the selfrighteous, "I am so pure that I can't imagine what you might be referring to!" bullshit even more!

I have heard them. When I hear them I tell the people who utter such nonsense, to their face, that it's inappropriate, unprofessional and not to use it in my presence again.

Just because others do it doesn't make it right. You, of all people, should know this.

You mean to tell me that you've never been in the back of an ambulance with a well/or minimally acute man/woman of certain ethic backgrounds and been majorly pissed off because you couldn't possible determine what the problem was because of the screaming, moaning, fake attempts to hyperventilate and vomit, etc? You've never been there? Bullshit.

Annoyed at the dramatic display? Sure. To the point that I would disparage an entire demographic group of people by painting with such a wide brush? Hell. No.

You know what, you don't like his comments, ok. You've told him so, and he's apologized.

I'm not sure he understands, however, the depth to which his comments could endanger not only his safety should he choose to act on them while on the job but also his ability to get a job. He is demonstrating blatantly racist comments under what is presumably his real name on a public website while he's looking for a job! Would you hire someone like that? I doubt it. I wouldn't either.

It's a free country. If he wants to be a racist, bigoted, prejudicial individual that's certainly his right. But it's not going to win him any friends (or jobs) in the long run.

But C'mon, he makes a good point. There were others in that thread, while you were participating(!) that talked about tramps, and bums, and hobos, and frequent fliers, yet they didn't get this whole line of shit. And if he started out in the funny forum, (which I'm pretty sure he did as I think I moved this conversation there when it become off color), and was then moved, then there is nothing wrong with his posts at all as he put the politically incorrect stuff where it belonged and someone else put it where it didn't.

Can you keep up on every comment in every thread? I can't either.

At least Island can admit that he understands where he's coming from but chooses not to think, speak, post in those terms. Not because he's to pure to have such thoughts, but because they're not productive nor professional.

Only IslandEMT can speak for IslandEMT. I do not understand, however, how someone could take the actions of limited individuals and paint such a negative image of an entire demographic group.

But the "I don't know what you mean? I have no idea what you might be referencing but because it uses the word 'black' I'm certain that it's offensive! And once you're as pure and professional as me you'll come to see that it's not possible to think, or feel, or say, or understand any politically correct ideas ever again!"

I'll put my own words in my mouth, thank you. Part of my concern was not the fact that he mentioned the word "black". It was because he made such a negative connotation to all black women everywhere by insinuating that they're all defective because they're different from how he thinks they should act.

Wanting better things for him is one thing, but now you're just flogging him so that you can wave your purity flag for the world to see. There's nothing productive happening here. He's trying to maintain some self respect and seems opposed to telling you to stop being an arrogant asshole. I didn't want to have to, but you just wouldn't friggin' let it go!

I had let it go. I was replying to IslandEMT in my subsequent comments.

I'll also be the first to admit I'm no purity flag waver. I've got plenty of my own faults. Making fun of people for being different, however, isn't one of them.

You should be ashamed of choosing such a target. He's apologized, and apologized, and groveled, and explained, and tried to change his posts...

Fuck's sake.....Give it a rest Brother...

Dwayne

Really? I don't buy it. But whatever. it was done until you brought it up again.

Oh for crying out loud people. This comment is not even worth the inflammatory responses from it. Look if it is so offensive and so tasteless that It causes problems. Please by all means remove it. As a matter of fact why don't you. I'm here to learn and acquire the wealth of knowledge the combined users of this forum has to offer. And occasionally see a funny or two to brighten a bad day at work. I have no intention to be like flaming EMT. Although I didn't see it how low his were because I filter the posts I read. And I'm shocked it's that low and he's still around . Me racist? Shit, my best friend whom I've known for 14 years is black. And he is hood black. I got no issues with it. I used to chill with his "homies" when I was in high school. I have " partners I'd trust my life with who are Mexican and my idol who is my current partner is Mexican. I don't care if they are white black or brown. I care for them the same with no pre determined judgement (even a weekly dialysis pt who has expressive aphasia and frustrates the hell out of me when I know she's hurting but I can't figure out where.

If these comments were coming from a user on a daily or regular basis or had a pattern I would believe they are possibly rascist. But to base my professional integrity off of one post is completely ridiculous.

I'm off my soap box as I've defended myself to the best of my ability.

P Mike and Dwayne. Feel free to delete it if you see fit. I don't wish to cause more fire on this post than I already have.

Edited by Mike Ellis

Mike,

I have a couple of Mexican partners that give me fits over being a gringo all the time but only because I am so much better looking than them!

Good on you for coming back. A lot of posters just disappear.

Edited by DFIB
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.