you know you're in urban ems if...

• 5 weeks later...

You know you're in urban EMS when...

You're sent to a "drug" intox and your screen says 30 y/o male lying on corner...but when you're 84 there are *10* drunks there fitting that description..."hey central, you got a callback on this...what's our pt. wearing?"

Really! About 2 years ago in Richmond Hill we had an MCI involving nothing *but* drunks! The first pt. fell down the stairs. His two roommates (also pixilated) got into a fight over who was going to pick pt.#1 off the floor. Pt.#4 came in off the street (from the local bar) and puked all over pt. #1 (put us out BBP, central), and Pt. #5 was just *intox*...the landlord.

Plus the conditions car showed up. :lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest Beegers
I am sure everyone here in urban EMS will contend that they live in a dangerous city.

Referring to New Jersey/New York since I have worked EMS in both, I would have to say NJ is much more dangerous. I won't speak of Newark, Camden, Irvington(scary place) or ACY. Nor will I mention Paterson, Pleasantville, or Trenton which are all really urban and have issues. I will speak of what I know.

Jersey City and NYC.

Anytime I have had a job in NYC where my safety was an issue, it was rare that I had a problem getting the police to respond. (maybe during shift change) However in JC, I feel like the cops there are sooooo freaking busy with all the messed up people, that I usually get to calls well before them where I should not even be on the block. I have felt more threatened by pts there. Almost every other call in JC is an EDP or assult. In NYC COPS go to EVERY EDP call not just the "unsafe" ones. While overall the call volume compared to NYC is about 10% per year, the per unit call volume is horrendous. NYC has plenty of resources whereas JC has only 4 BLS units on overnight shifts and 3 ALS. So while in NYC i did MAYBE 7-10 calls in an 8hr shift (day shift in Brooklyn) out here I do proobably 15-25 calls in a 12hr shift, and because of the limited resources they come non-stop.

By the way more related to the topic of this post..

You know your in Urban EMS when :

your pt. is covered in their own feces and they have a family of maggots living in their lower extremities. (as in home sweet home for these flys/maggots)

your pt is a teenager who is UNINJURED and ambulatory for approx 20 minutes on scene after a close call with a MOTORCYCLE, that is until his MOTHER shows up and tells him he is in too much pain to walk and to remember to say the guy was speeding to the lawyers.....and yes he decided to limp into the ER....why?? the only thing he was struck with was air........

Reservations for 4 anyone????

IrishEDP

Be safe out there.

Ahhh I'm in Paterson everyday. Home sweet home. :? But yea, Madison/Broadway is bad area. Plus the area around Straight St near Godwin ave. I had to take a patient home there. My partner and I were like "errr i don't think we belong here" and he lives on the south side.

Last week a Paterson cop was assaulted. He was on the ramp off Rt 80 somewhere and a car was in front but another car came up behind him blocking him in. I've heard mixed stories of what happened. One report said he was shot in the hand. Anotehr report said he went in for neck and back injuries.

NYPD, as stated, responds to ALL EDP calls. Usually, they also start out an Emergency Services Unit (combined SWAT/Rescue, they also go up into the rigging on a bridge for "Jumper-Up" suicides, and other specialized rescue work. Think Fire Rescue without hoses). It's always easier to cancel a unit on the way, than to start it out in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

When you know what rank your city has in the nation for murders

When your CSC hits on your partner

When your patient's son and grand-baby are the same age - and she's 30.

When your echo on scene is smoking one with the GSW pt sitting on a corner waiting for you - fourth rig on.

PP[/font:180d26ca8e]

• 6 months later...

...the rig has at least one hole from a brick or somthing that fell by way of its own power from a building..

...the rig leaks b/c of things hitting the roof thrown by children

...you've ever been hit by a glass bottle thrown by a gang of Preschool Students :?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.