you know you're in urban ems if...

If you can go all night at work and you (and maybe your partner) are the only members of your own ethnic group you see.

yeah that's me on almost every single shift; or to add on to that if the in charge thinks "it"s best you stay in the bus" because of the ethnicity

I wasn't involved with this one:

Someone shot on the street, around the corner from an ER, to which the patient, in Traumatic Arrest was transported, instead of the 20 minute trip to a Trauma Center. Happens way too often in the "inner city" areas.

However, this Project Housing Development shooting took place right outside the NYPD Housing Bureau "satellite" office, and the shooters were gone from view before the cops could get out the door!

When your rival company Plasters your bus with eggs and sticks Mac Donald's wrappers in your rear view mirrors. when crack heads jump out in front of your bus and act like you hit them then ask for cash to resolve the matter. when a Pt asks you to stop at the liquor store on the way to the hosp. When you are running lights and sirens with a pt who is crapping out on you yet your bus is only moving 3 feet per minute because its rush hour and everyone wants to cut off or follow the ambulance. these are just some to name a few

• 1 month later...

When the most common fragrance in the elevators is URINE.

When you cannot put your equipment down because the highly visible roach population in the pt's apartment may decide to relocate to your jump bag.

when your OB patients are waiting at the curb with their luggage and 10 other children. (where's the father again???)

when your EDP's have a preference of Psych ER based on the food

In NYC only: when your MVA is on the BQE and when you arrive there are 20 minivans and 10 crown vic's with flashing lights blocking traffic waiting for the Hatzolah bus to arrive for the "scratched hand".

IrishEDP

Be safe out there.

When the most common fragrance in the elevators is URINE.

When you cannot put your equipment down because the highly visible roach population in the pt's apartment may decide to relocate to your jump bag.

when your OB patients are waiting at the curb with their luggage and 10 other children. (where's the father again???)

when your EDP's have a preference of Psych ER based on the food

In NYC only: when your MVA is on the BQE and when you arrive there are 20 minivans and 10 crown vic's with flashing lights blocking traffic waiting for the Hatzolah bus to arrive for the "scratched hand".

IrishEDP

Be safe out there.

Oy Vey!!! (Can I sing the song? Or would that offend too many people?)

your station has bullet holes , role call is held in the back so none gets shot, there is a fried chicken place every 4 feet, the rev serves the best food on the block but not on Sunday. The cochifrito van has less dents the your bus.....

Green and white was the color of life savers and 7 up guys

Boy after reading all of the posts, I am glad I am in a small town. Everyone pretty much knows everyone,and when they see our private vehicles with flashers on,they move out of the way so we can get to the ambulance shed. Never hesitate to move for our rigs. Most of our patients we know already. People never hesitate to help us out with lifting or whatever we may need.

Our call volume is the only thing that I don't like. Pretty slow most days. Still, I will stick with the small town life.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.