clinicals and ride times

donedeal

I will be starting paramedic school in January. Currently Im working in an ER and Im on AMR's payroll (but only work like 2 shifts a month). When I start clinicals and ride times can I fulfill them at these institutions or is this a conflict of interest?

It all depends on what your school tells you, you can, and can't do.

There is usually a working agreement with the facilities in question, prior to clinicals starting. You will probably be given a list of places you can do your time.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be starting paramedic school in January. Currently Im working in an ER and Im on AMR's payroll (but only work like 2 shifts a month). When I start clinicals and ride times can I fulfill them at these institutions or is this a conflict of interest?

I work as a unit secretary at one of the facilities my school contracts with for clinicals. They said it would be no problem at all. I've seen nursing students doing clinicals and then going to a different floor to work. LOL Ask your boss and ask your instructor. My guess would be it won't be an issue. Of course, you won't be getting paid during clinical time, but you already knew that. :wink:

• 3 years later...

All we were told in our class was that you could not be paid for any of the time you put down for "ride time" and you had to do clinicals at a facility that they had a contract with.

As stated above, it will depend on who your school has contracts with.

I know a medic that went to a 3 month school that was allowed to do her clinicals with a non transporting fire service.

It varies, but I do believe that they must be unpaid.

Dwayne