O - opiates or other drugs

U - uremia

T - trauma or temperature

I - infection

P - psychogenic or poison

S - shock, stroke, or shunt obstruction

there are bazillions of them. depends on which / what you want to focus on

IE: Assessment / treatment

Oh yeah, just a word of caution - - Nursing staff have many acronyms for their work as well. some of which are duplicated in our field, sometimes they mean the same thing, but other times, like in the post above "D/SA", can mean multiple things to multiple fields of study :?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good advice, never use the acronym LOC on your paperwork.

what does this mean: Pt had a +LOC.

either: patient had a positive LOSS of consciousness or patient had a positive LEVEL of consciousness.

Whichever way you mean it the lawyer for the plaintiff will go to the OTHER book and state it means the other, and you will be paying for whatever the patient wants to sue you for.

when I chart the LOC has to come with a pretty good explanation and the "as manifested by" clues... it never comes as pt had a +LOC because of the same reasons that you explained above... acronyms are not crutches they are a good way (at least for me) to remember stuff for tests :)

good advice, never use the acronym LOC on your paperwork.

what does this mean: Pt had a +LOC.

either: patient had a positive LOSS of consciousness or patient had a positive LEVEL of consciousness.

Whichever way you mean it the lawyer for the plaintiff will go to the OTHER book and state it means the other, and you will be paying for whatever the patient wants to sue you for.

We use the Glasgow Coma Scare (GCS) to assess the patient’s level of consciousness.

We also have a little tick box, so you tick if there alert, confused, unresponsive ect, ect.

But I suppose it depends on what service you work for and how they teach you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.