b.s.calls

kount

Where to begin:

1.) Patient leaving nursing home for "hypotension." On scene I learn they used a Dinamap to take a BP and it gave an erroneous reading. I take a manual and low and behold, a perfectly normotensive patient. Still ended up transporting him.

2.) Patient discharged off the hospital floor with "chronic dementia." On scene patient is alert and oriented x 109375070820, telling me about stuff from 20 years ago, telling me about her current stay at the hospital, obviously completely with it. I hate being lied to by hospitals.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a call yesterday for one of our FF's. This a sweet old woman who is obviously starved for attention. We have transported her to the ED on numerous occasions for various phantom illnesses.

On yesterday's call, the initial dispatch was for hip pain, which she has used before. HOWEVER, this time she had fallen and had a obvious hip fracture. Her left leg was approx. 2 inches shorter than the right. Upon palpating her hip she was in a great deal of pain. We took the appropriate actions and transported her to the ED.

It was a wake up call for us to remember, even though we thought it was a B.S. call, it can be more serious than one might think. I for one took this as a lesson and will never assume anything again. :oops:

I just had one that ranks in my top five.

Mom calls 911 today for her son (aprox. 9y/o) who was punched in the face yesterday just above his left eye. the child now has a lump above his eyebrow. the child has no blurred vision and pain only when he touches it.

I dont have kids so maybe I am wrong but this sounds like every day boy stuff. At least that is the way it was when I was a kid.

I just had one that ranks in my top five.

Mom calls 911 today for her son (aprox. 9y/o) who was punched in the face yesterday just above his left eye. the child now has a lump above his eyebrow. the child has no blurred vision and pain only when he touches it.

I dont have kids so maybe I am wrong but this sounds like every day boy stuff. At least that is the way it was when I was a kid.

Hopefully you told her "tell him not to touch it and he will be pain free" lol

roy

Blind man who woke up more blind than usual. Yup wanted the doctor to see him right away.

That is possible....You can see shadows or major blur unable to be treated by eye glasses and be classified blind. You lost what you have and you're more blind than normal...

My grandmother was sent to the ER for low hemoglobin....ER did nothing and sent her back several hours later.

Young male with belly button lint.

Young lady who wants a pregnancy test at the hospital.

Man that stepped on a toothpick and had approx. <1mm of it still in his foot. He wanted us to dig it out with tweezers.

Young man with ingrown toenail and associated toe pain.

Girl with yeast infection.

The list goes on and on. It keeps the job interesting! :wink: Oh, and the only one that didn't want transport was the guy that stepped on the toothpick.

21 yo female G3 P2 A0, claiming she was 11 and 1/2 months pregnant. When I asked her how come the Dr has not induced labor........" the baby is too small and doesn't weigh enough" "Ma'am where are getting your Prenatal care?.....Patient answers....."my Mom"

Is the mom a Dr, Midwife or any medically trained person........no but she delivered my sister's baby......Oh i forgot to mention this chick weighed all of 110lbs..........

Transported to local ED, dropped her off at triage........seen walking back home 40 minutes later. Using my 18 years in the streets and all the assessment tools at my disposal, I'd have to say that the odds of her being preggo was slim and none.......and slim just left town.

Todd

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.