b.s.calls

kount

Everyone's been on the nursing home calls - the hip fractures that have been picked up, placed in a wheelchair, then picked up ,placed into bed. The really bad CHFer in distress, placed on a NRB, but the flow left at 2LPM. The dump patients - low grade fevers, the "lab values", the nonsensical "personal injuries".

We got a call for "personal injury" to an employee of a SNF. When we get there, this person is lying on the floor, with a pillow under her head, being attended to by 4 other people imploring her to "NOT MOVE". The injury? A skinned knee. Supervisor at the facility insisted on transport by ambulance because it was a "workers comp" injury.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Called around 3:00 am by a mid-late 20's male because "I smoked a joint and I feel funny." He proceeded to tell us that he has done this before and felt the same way previous times he had smoked. His girlfriend came out of the bedroom and raised cain with him for calling us. Needless to say, we didn't transport.

Have a regular who calls frequently because he "is dying"and knows how to wangle transport. We know what is he dying for (and of) because the liquor store is beside the hospital, and we usually see him hitching back home with a plain paper bag within 30 minutes or so.

We have a regular, who calls for no apparent reason. She likes going to the hospital, especially when it is hot outside. She called 3 times in one 12 hour shift, the same truck picked her up each time. She fakes seizures, among other complaints.

She was convicted of setting her house on fire (that is a story in itself), and stealing from the hospital gift shop, then sent to prison. Our call volume dropped.

She knows enough to open the side door, sit on the bench seat, and seat belt herself before the provider gets out of the front seat. Unfortunately, she has cooties.

Had one the other day - a perfectly healthy woman who had been "diagnosed" with constipation (after 2 days of "no go") she was seen at hospital a day prior (that's when she received the diagnosis) She refused to "drink more water and/or take some laxtives." So she called us. OH YEAH! I forgot to mention that she literally lived ACROSS the street from the hospital. Quite capable of walking but chose to call us because "it's too far to walk."

We are talking about 100yds or less people!

hmm - Hefty ambulance bill or short 2 minute walk from door to door. That would be a tough one in my books.....LOL

Joel

Had one the other day - a perfectly healthy woman who had been "diagnosed" with constipation (after 2 days of "no go") she was seen at hospital a day prior (that's when she received the diagnosis) She refused to "drink more water and/or take some laxtives." So she called us. OH YEAH! I forgot to mention that she literally lived ACROSS the street from the hospital. Quite capable of walking but chose to call us because "it's too far to walk."

We are talking about 100yds or less people!

hmm - Hefty ambulance bill or short 2 minute walk from door to door. That would be a tough one in my books.....LOL

Joel

It's NOT a hefty ambulance bill if she had caid - didn't cost her a dime!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.