Big Shears

dharrill

They're actually comfortable on the small of my back. No worry for back problems.

Only problem I had with them in the small of my back was snagging them on the back of a folding chair I was sitting in when I stood up and ripping the back beltloop on my pants! :oops: Keep them on the side now lol.

I've been able to use them on motocross suits and boots, streetbike leathers, race car firesuits, and most recently one of the protective vests worn by bullriders without any difficulty. Definitely worth the investment. They work good for breaking bags of ice into smaller pieces to fit in a cooler for drinks on a hot day too! :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They work good for breaking bags of ice into smaller pieces to fit in a cooler for drinks on a hot day too! Smile

If ever there was a reason, theres one right there! :D

I had a lot of trouble with snagging too. The folding chairs was one. Bouncing off of door knobs and other wall mounted items when squeezing through a tight space. I snagged a drip set on a hanging bag while working my way around the back of the truck. I like having them with me but in reality they work better in my jump bag. Just my thoughts on it.

yeah, the back sheath didnt work well for me also, and especially not in my scrubs. i keep em in my fanny pack when im at the station and just on my bag when in the ER and only bust 'em out if we're gettin a good trauma in that will need to be exposed in a rapid fashion.............or if we might need to crack a chest and they decide to clam shell the guy again. :lol:

got any pics of them modified? I hadnt thought of doing that to them. can you still get a good grip on them to break windows without the plastic?

I remain extremely sceptical of the frequency of this need some of you seem to find to break windows on a routine basis. In over thirty years, I still have fingers left over after counting all of the windows I have had to break. Yes, there were plenty that I could have broken if I wanted to. But the fact remains that the actual need to break windows is a lot less common than a lot of low-time rookies here want to believe. If you are breaking windows this frequently, you seriously need to go back for some more schooling, or simply slow the F down and use your head instead of breaking windows on every damn wrecked car you find. If you're making such poor judgements in access and extrication, your medical judgements are also suspect. Think about it.

And if you're breaking glass, you ought to be wearing gloves anyhow, so the lack of the plastic guards shouldn't be relevant.

And if you are so into being prepared for every possible eventuality that you would run out and buy Big Shears, then there is no excuse for not having gloves on you too.

I remain extremely sceptical of the frequency of this need some of you seem to find to break windows on a routine basis.

Although a new hand at EMS, im reasonably well experienced at fire and assisting with extrication. Most windws are busted by the accident anyway, so i think ive done this twice now. One was a back window to extricate the pt through, the other was a rear side window to get someone in the back as the doors were that buckled we could not get them open

Why is it that when i saw this thread I envisioned Crocodile Dundee on scene hearing a medic ask for shears, seeing a standard set being offered says " Shears!!!! Those aren't shears mate ...THESE are shears!!!"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.