Big Shears

dharrill

I was curious if anyone has an opinion on the Big Shears. I've been in EMS for several years now and still have not found a pair of shears that hold up over time. Currently I use Gerber's field shears...they work fairly well but are not always what you would hope they would be. Anyway, Ive seen the ad in EMS Journal for a while now and just wanted to know if anyone else has used them and if they are as good as they claim to be.

Big Shears website

Thanks,

D Harrill, NREMT-I

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought them last year at the Fire Expo in Las Vegas, after standing in front of the booth for 20 minutes deciding whether the $100 cost was worth it.

I LOVE THEM!!! Everyone makes fun of me for having them, but when they need clothes cut, I end up doing it. Plus, they're good to break shit with.

The guy who owns the company is a member here. He used to be very active however he has been MIA lately. I surmise between school, job and the business he is over extended. Anyways, I too bought a pair. I didnt get em at expo cause I spent too much gambling instead of watching mediccgh cut cars. Anyways, they are phenomonal. I used them as a flight medic and they cut through military issue camoflauge like a hot knife through butter. The are well worth the expense and they are very duable. Plus, no one tries to steal them like they steal my trauma shears all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Shears are teh $hit! Makes removing kevlar from a combat casualty a snap. Regular "trauma shears" either won't do the job at all, or it takes a long, huge physical effort to muscle them through the material. I'm the only guy here with a pair of big shears, and when kevlar needs to come off, they look to me.

That said, they are NOT the only pair of shears you will ever need. In fact, even here it is damn rare that I need them. The tips and blades are simply too large for using on bandages and dressings, and routine stuff around the clinic. I definitely recommend the Big Shears, but keep you a pair of 5.5 inch bandages scissors too for the majority of things you need scissors for.

Now, if they would just offer a wider selection of holsters for the Big Shears!

• 1 month later...

I've got a set of the shears but haven't had the opportunity to use them yet. They're huge and heavy, which is the major drawback. Our service rarely deals with heavy duty materials, but I keep a set in my personal jump bag so if I need them they'll be in the box.

I agree with dust that there needs to be another holster alternative for them. They do fit in Dickies EMT slacks, but not so well in the holster on pro-tuff slacks (for those of you that like to keep shears/instruments in a cargo pocket).

The stethoscope has great sound quality in the back of the truck. Some blue locktite keeps those ear pieces on. You need to be aware of the rubber liners on both sides of the bell. Otherwise it's a great set.

Kuo34: Do you think you could break a car's windshield with the big shears as it is advertised on their site?

Im all for having trauma shears with me at work and on military ops but the price, size, and weight have made me stick to traditional shears so far.

Somedic

I don't work with a rescue service and only have a very basic familiarization with getting through windshields. I'd feel comfortable taking out the windows on the door with the shears but getting through the windshield . . . I don't have enough experience to really tell you if it's feasible with those shears. I'm sure if you were determined enough it'd be possible but you may find some debris from an MVA that'd be more useful for getting past a windshield.

Again, I don't have the experience to really give a yes/no answer. Perhaps some of the rescue folks here could chime in?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.