And you wonder why we don't get respect...

vs-eh?

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...b757646dc#82517

Dispatched to local residence priority 1 for 57 y/o female choking, unable to breathe. Husband on scene has medical problems and cannot help, neighbor on scene too small and cannot help.

A fast paced walk inside and we come to the husband pointing down the hallway (it's an old single wide trailer) saying, "she's in the bathroom."

Enter bathroom expecting the worst and find a lady standing 6'3" and 250 lbs. (no wonder they couldn't help) standing in front of the toilet gagging, coughing, and spitting. She is PWD and moving air well. I ask her what's going on.

"I took a drink of my pop and didn't notice there were ants in it and swallowed them and one is stuck in my throat."

Yeah, OK...

So, I look with a flashlight and sure enough! There's a black ant clamped onto her left tonsil. Attempts to remove with a q-tip aren't successful. Laryngoscope with #3 miller and Magill forceps are used to extricate the ant. Pt. is very thankful and feeling much better.

We clear the scene and advise central that the ant was successfully extricated from the patient's throat and we were available.

The dispatcher tried unsuccessfully to not laugh as well as her colleagues in the background.

On the way back to the station, I questioned how one could drink ants in soda. My partner says while they were standing there, he noticed about fifteen ants on their bed.

My partner, myself, and our ride along all caught a good case of "the creepy itchies" for awhile.

On a side note, one of the dispatchers knew "her". Apparently she wasn't a large woman, she was a former man.

God I love my job!

ug

I felt that this needed its own thread.

This kind of action boggles my mind. Uglymedic, how can you possibly think that what you did on this call was correct in anyway? Honestly. A conscious, breathing patient who is maintaining their own airway AND TALKING TO YOU says they are choking ON A F*CKING ANT! You tried your awesome q-tip technique (which is sketchy in itself) and then decided "Oh well....next step is laryngealscopy and Magill's right?"

JESUS. H. CHRIST

Hmmmm...

Let's see...Correct me if I'm wrong but perhaps encouraging the patient to continue to try and cough it up, ummmmm maybe drinking/gargling with some water? Salt water? Listerine? Pop? Anything? Man...

Honestly...How did you even do this? Told the patient to lie down and scoped them? Conscious and talking to you? Did your partner not perhaps suggest an alternative? Your patient went along with all of this? Laryngealscopy carries it's own cardiovascular, iatrogenic, etc...risks....

My faith in EMS is destroyed. Uglymedic, report your action to your medical director and see what they say.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slow down VS.

I read this like he used the blade as a tongue depressor and then reached in with the magills. I didn't take it to mean that he had the patient lay flat while trying to visualize vocal cords.

I agree that there may have been other ways to address this. But I don't think this was nearly as bad as you're thinking it might be.

Slow deep breaths, my man.

-be safe.

ok....here's the thing....how many of us have actually seen this case??? none of us! i think it was handled quite well and praise uglymedic for thinking of the treatment he did. what we have to keep in mind is this...the pt was relieved of the problem successfully without detriment. Paramedics:1....Ants:0 If i ever see another case like this i'll try the same technique, it worked once, it should work again! lol way to go ugly...the shemale lives to fool another man, another day!!! lmao.

as for vs...i just have one question. HAVE YOU EVER HAD TO TREAT A PT WITH THIS PARTICULAR PROBLEM? i mean, come on, honestly...wouldn't you have gone with your gut on this one? Walk a mile in uglymedic's shoes and then come back and b*tch about it.

"Risk may cause failure but success cannot come without it"

Actually, since the "ant clamped down" on the tonsil, rinsing with soda might had been easier, but doubtfully it would had removed the ant in fact might had irritated the insect more. I too, presumed that the visualization of the oropharynx with the laryngoscope was more for visualization and use of magils was to remove the attached insect.

I agree, I did not interpret the post as larygnoscopy of the pharynx area.

I personally thought it as an odd call, and personally might have done the same, since I usually do not carry tongue blades and very few times even a penlight with me.( Yes, I routinely use a laryngoscope to check pupils. it works and easy to get to).

R/r 911

What about the ant? Will no one think of the poor ant? Contusions, lacerations, shock, drowning...

Did anyone call medics for the poor ant? :lol:

VS, it seems to me that you like to find a way to criticize before you really look at what people are saying. Relax and remember that not everyone comes to the correct answer worded the same way that you would. This call was about helping the patient. If the patient was happy and uninjured from what was done to help her/him, then the call was successful. (Personally, I could see my med director laughing and rolling his eyes at the entire situation.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.