'Whacker' as a Wikipedia entry

Asysin2leads

Hey gang, I was slacking off the other day and using Wikipedia, which is great for people like who are interested in a variety of topics and have a limited attention span. While they're are articles on many things related to EMS and Fire and such, I realized that there was one glaring omission. That was an article under the heading of 'whacker', which would be linked to an entry for 'Buff'. I say, this article needs to be written, and by golly, I and the rest of this website should be the ones to write it. I'd like input on what everyone thinks it should contain.

Here's what I think this article shouid contain so far, please add your ideas under each heading.

-Definition

Hard to define. Enthusiast come close, but doesn't really capture the whole essence of a whacker.

-Phenomenon and Culture.

My experiences with the Whacker/Buff culture has been limited to the New England/Mid-Atlantic area. Do they exist elsewhere in the country or the world? Are there other names for them?

-Psychology

Why they are the way they are. Don't try and tell me a grown man who looks forward to turning his baseball cap aroun backwards and flying down the highway to a car wreck doesn't have a few bats in the belfry. At this point, I think its safe to say that one common theme of whackers is to what great lengths they go to be noticed and paid attention to. Usually this results from some sort of childhood neglect or feelings of worthlessness or low self esteem.

-Ways to identify

Pagers, bumperstickers, scanners, stethescopes on the mirror, you all know the drill

-Relation to volunteering

This will be a point of contention, I know, but unless someone can convince me otherwise, I will have to go by my own personal experience that not all volunteers are whackers, but every whacker I've met is a volunteer of some sort.

-Effects on EMS in general

Quite frankly, I think they make us look like idiots, and are part of the reason that EMS is so lowly paid and regarded. I'm sure they have their good point too. Lets hear 'em.

-Delineation

It needs to be made very clear that the people described represent a small portion (or at least I like to think) of EMS workers, and that most members of EMS are proud of the job they do don't mind telling people, but do not go to the lengths of the whacker.

-Hope for the future

Ways to combat the whacker phenomenon. Increased educational standards, professional requirements for EMS, on the whole, but also a section about what to do if you think you may be a whacker. I would say chill out a bit, maybe some psychological counseling, etc.

If anyone has some public domain pics I could use, please let me know. This is gonna be good.

Asys- Nearly every whacker I've known has been from my days with a volunteer FD - at the time, the entire county I lived in was volunteer. I didn't spend much time at that station cause they drove me NUTS! But... I work for a paid municipal agency now, and we have at least one whacker. He's got himself a Batbelt that he straps on over his clothes and it has SO MANY tools and pieces of equipment on it, a lesser whacker might even think he's whacked. He put a lightbar on his little, old, POS car. He even got in trouble once for running his lightbar on, chasing one of our own ambulances to retrieve something he left on it. (maybe it was the 18" long Maglight he uses for pupils). He is certainly the only paid, career guy I've ever seen that is so deep into whackerdom. Maybe this is an anomaly.

I"ve designed this diagram for us to study and hopefully educate ourselves in the ways of the whacker.

whacker-1.jpg

Disclaimer: Please be aware that this photo, although extremely lifelike and accurate, is in no way portraying any real life entity. This has been created for educational purposes, and should be used for just that.

huh? I need a backup pair of shears to go with my glove pack?

/worked with someone who had a cellphone holder on their belt when at work

//thinks cell phones needs to go in pants pockets

///slashies

I have a little phone clip that I use when I'm on duty, but it comes off when I get on the rig and it stays there while i'm on a call. I don't like having it in my pocket because it's just uncomfortable. I try to be as light and as comfortable as I can be. All I carry is my wallet, a tiny pouch with an extra set of gloves, shears, a pen, a post it note pad in my back pocket, and a stethoscope while i'm on the call (granted it's not something like a kid who broke his ankle on a trampoline). At night I'll throw a little mini maglight in my pocket when I get out of the truck.

Phenomenon and Culture.

My experiences with the Whacker/Buff culture has been limited to the New England/Mid-Atlantic area. Do they exist elsewhere in the country or the world? Are there other names for them?

We like to call them "Ricky Rescue" here.

Hey becksdad! I know who you're talking about!!!!!!!!!!! And I agree, only I heard he got pulled over by FHP too!

• 2 weeks later...

primemedic01:

Taster and pocket knife are you serious!! OHHH NO... Dosh...

Wouldn’t that be Illegal?

* This forum really needs one of those little animation thingos of Homer Simpson running into a brick wall and shouting “doh” *

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.