Need Training Ideas

MEDIC_ONE

I am an instructor for a predominately rural EMS service. Agriculture is one of our top industries. I am wanting to do some practicle training, something hands on for experienced EMT's. I know alot of this stuff is just review and recap for the older EMT's, so I need some ideas on how to present some practicle scenarios out on the training ground to keep these older guys interested and maybe enahnce their abilities at the same time. Anyone have any ideas? I am wanting to set up some mock incidents. Thanks

Lucky for you, bein in a rural area you have some outdoors areas to play in. My suggestion would be to find someone's field or lawn with road access, borrow an ambulance, and persuade someone to play victim. At the EMT level most of the work involves moving, lifts and carries. Be sure to include a CPR in transit scenario, remember, compressions on a moving backboard are ineffective. 30 seconds of compressions and ventilations, move for 30 seconds, down, compressions and ventilations, repeat until at the ambulance. Its better than Tae Bo for a work out. if the weather won't cooperate borrow a gym or rec center for an afternoon.

Or you can take Asys's idea and expand on it.

Get the local FD's involved, and do a combo EMS/hazmat training.

You said you work in a rual area, I'm going to assum there are alot of farms and crops out there. Do something Organophosphate related. Full hazmat, with the hot warm and cold zones, decon procedures, treatment policies for a OGP (or OPP as some call it) exposure. Signs, symptoms, etc.

I live in a rural area we do some really great training that relates to farming accidents. We done training in a wheat silo, a patient is trapped in the silo for some reason (eg. heart attack) you have to send a medic down the ladder and help the rescue guys get them out. Its really fun! I also live near a river so we sometimes do some swift water training or rescuing people. Once a year we have a massive mock drill were a paddle steamer I blown up and we have to remove 25 patients while the boat is slowly sinking. ATV mock ups are really good as well. Sending medics into the bush with a map and finding a patient and bring them back to the truck. As someone else has already stated Hazmats are really great as well. Just some ideas.

• 3 months later...

get a car,,, get a mannequin,,,, put the manny in the car and make him a resp arrest,,, then say he is trapped in the car and have them try tubing him either digitally or with face to face,, if no medics use BVM and have FD cut them out of the car while your people work on him.

I used to do a lot of training and it's only limited by your imagination. Everyone loves a mock MVA with hurst tools going ...

Just my $.02... I agree with scaramedic, (many years ago) I took the farmedic, or perhaps a mock-farmedic course, and I thought the material in it was invaluable for the rural/agricultural incidents. The scenarios we practiced really made one think (for example: A farmer getting limbs stuck in various pieces of equipment, drive shafts, etc; treatment, extrication, scene safety...). All in all, something along these lines, I'd highly recommend.

-skibum

You have a couple of options, you could offer the Farmedic class or you could put together your own class... Check with your local aeromedical providers to see if they would be willing to help... If you do decide to offer a class I would suggest that you talk with your local emergency department, local fire department & local police department... You also might want to check with your local college thearte department or community thearte to see if they would like to play victims.

• 3 weeks later...

:director2: Having read through the posts and operated in a rural area for over 30 years you are indeed only limited by your imagination. The FarmMedic Course is an excellent hands-on experience that will prove invaluable during real life rescue operations. Like you I operated in a rural area and can count the silo rescue/recoveries, PTO shaft entanglements, tractor rollovers, runover, rollover, stuck or swallow by a combine, haybailer, manure spreader, auger and various other pieces of apparatus on a calculator now. We never know what we will face next but what ever we are toned out for we must be prepared to conduct ourselves in an organized professional manner and make the difference we have been destined to make. Mass casualty incidents with out for warning make for excellent training scenario's. We one had 4 members of a farming family in a community not far from us perish in a confinement lot waste vessel. Bus accidents are always allot of fun as well. Good luck with your training and if al else fails place some of your service/department members in a vehicle and use them as victims. They will enjoy using their imagination and previous experiences as guides for the victims they have become. Require your care providers to give you accurate vital signs and depending on the injuries you have assigned every 5 minutes.