National Registry Exam and ADD/ADHD

thbarnes

Believe it or not, I was not diagnosed with ADD (non-hyperactive) until late into my teens. I tried medication once, but couldn't tolerate the stimulant effects. I do well with meditation and to-do lists. Maybe one day I will give the non-stimulant medication a try.

Unlike the SAT or many other standardized tests, the National Registry exam does not allow extended time or special provisions for those with ADD or any other LD, nor am I proposing they should.

Are there any other EMTs or Paramedics who have difficulty taking exams with any advice regarding the National Registry exam in particular who have advice to offer ?

Thanks.

Moderators: Would you mind leaving this test-related question in the EMS Discussion folder for a bit? I know it would probably best fit in the Taking the Test folder, but I was hoping for a few responses before it's filled down there. Thanks.

Sorry, but as a person who has suffered from the same affliction, I can't ever say I've ever had a problem taking a test I've studied for. If you are having problems studying for the test, that's one thing, there are many sites devoted to assisting people with ADD/ADHD/LD/HDLP.

You'll find however, that EMS is like a math test or a science test. Either you know the answer or you don't.

I agree with the study and science analogy. As a person in your shoes I study for my tests and have never had a problem. All of the tests in my class were designed to be as difficult and in some cases more difficult than the NREMT and I was usually the first - third one done with the test because I studied.

You will either know the answer or you won't...focus on the test and don't let your mind float away from ya. Best advice I could give...and good luck, I take my test this Wednesday, my skills test is tomorrow :)

Dude, don't worry about it, I have ADHD and I passed the written test, my brother has the same disability AND more and he has a CDL; just remember what you learned in class, and study hard, you should be able to pass registry.

good luck,

scott

• 2 weeks later...

As an EMT with ADHD, I just make sure I've studied my hardest well in advance for any exam, especially for the state and national registry exams. I take Adderall, and I must say it works wonders for me. I am able to calm down and focus with it (for people without ADHD, its basically just Speed). Some people don't like considering amphetamines, and I was against it at first, but now I believe it works great for some people. Other than that, the test usually goes smoothly as long as the room is fairly quiet and there's not a circus going on or anything. Good luck!!!

~Kelli

If you need accommodations for the exam,go to www.nremt.org, read their policy, call the Registry and ask for "Jean". She'll handle it for you.

You'll find that many of us old folks in EMS, studies show, are ADD or ADHD. In the early '60's it wasn't treated, just told to study harder. ADD/ADHD can't "study harder"

My two cents worth.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.