Holding it all in

So I have been an EMT for a little over a year now and I am 20. The other night I went out to party and had a lot to much. (this is the first time with alcohol by the way) I dont remember much but I was told that I was over emotional about a lot of bad calls that I have been on and I related those calls to the death of a good friend. I dont feel that I am still holding it all in but I dont understand why they came out the way that they did. Am I really holding it all inside or was this just because of a recent death of a good friend?

Its always a good thing to talk when you've had a bad call or someone has died. Its good to get these sort of things off your chest. Everyones diffrent and deal with things in diffrent ways.

:)

sounds to me like your first time drinking was not the greatest. I could tell you that being under 21 you shouldn't drink but maybe you are realizing that now.

I think, just from your small note here that you are keeping it all in and that you have not had a good system to deal with the bad calls you have run. Talk with someone you trust be that your friend or a co-worker or a shrink but it sounds like to me that all that drinking = letting it all out and that's not a great thing.

I also agree with Dust too.

I find one of the most beneficial forms of mental recovery can be talking to people about what has happened. Talking to your spouse or parents and especially other medics. People who have been through it before.

Getting drunk and letting it all pour out doesn't really accomplish much.Especially if its to a room full of people who don't have anything to do with EMS. Lay people don't want to know about the type of crap we deal with on a daily basis.

Drinking is great fun, but drink in moderation because trying to remember what you did last night and what you may have said to whome is not fun at all.

I agree with Dust on this, stop drinking now if you respect yourself and this profession. You have to find and use better ways to deal with the stress of a troubling or bad call/shift. If you are this way after only one year... just imagine how it can get for you if you don't change something. Like Ruffums said talk to someone you trust co-worker, friend, pastor, shrink,etc.

Hollywood already portrays us in a somewhat negative light. Self-destructive, mentally unstable, with alcoholism, gambling problems, drug abuse, you name it.

Obviously it sounds like you really need help dealing with the stress of your calls. You may be good at your job hands on, but some people just are not cut out for it mentally. That is what you need to figure out for your own sanity and happiness. And for the profession of EMS.

And maybe you just had a crazy night getting to drunk for the first time. Just be careful. :wink:

Your not alone with the spilling after a night of drinking! I did that after several bad calls ( 2 codes, Ped. Trauma, MVA with 7 Pt.s 3 that were DOA 2 that died after transport) over a 2 week time period. I do not like C.I.S.D. meetings I went to one and will not do another but you do need to talk to someone that will understand what you are talking about it does help. Weather it is a formal setting or casual setting around tha Sta. Talk about it.

(I know, I know practice what you preach)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.