Transmucosal Valium?

becksdad

They've been giving Stadol nasally for years also. I'm not positive but I think that most of your "NAVAL" drugs can and do be given nasally.

To me IN is great from a health and safety aspect as well. If you are going at a seizing pt with a sharp, you have a significantly higher risk of a stick injury. IN to me seems much safer.

And if it gets the patient out of seizures at a comparable speed then why would we not?

Believe me, someone will have an argument about it. What if they had vericose veins post nasally?

In our protocols we can given Fentanyl, Versed, and Narcan IN. I haven't seen Versed or Narcan given this way, but I've seen Fentanyl given twice. Both times the patient complained of an aftertaste, but they were relaxing by the time they finished talking.

-Kat

In our protocols we can given Fentanyl, Versed, and Narcan IN. I haven't seen Versed or Narcan given this way, but I've seen Fentanyl given twice. Both times the patient complained of an aftertaste, but they were relaxing by the time they finished talking.

-Kat

I'm curious, what situation would IN Fentanyl be more desirable than another route? I can understand someone on it chronically or something but I'm having a hard time coming up with one for prehospital.

I'm curious, what situation would IN Fentanyl be more desirable than another route? I can understand someone on it chronically or something but I'm having a hard time coming up with one for prehospital.

Our medical director is all about pain relief. If someone has pain greater than 3/10, we can give them Fentanyl. He also wants to reduce the number of iv sticks we do, as it can lead to a greater risk of getting stuck. It's also great for peds. We can give them pain meds without terrifying them with needles.

-Kat

Our medical director is all about pain relief. If someone has pain greater than 3/10, we can give them Fentanyl. He also wants to reduce the number of iv sticks we do, as it can lead to a greater risk of getting stuck. It's also great for peds. We can give them pain meds without terrifying them with needles.

-Kat

Seems like a strange solution. Then again the problem seems strange, too.

Valium can be given rectally for situation that you cannot obtain IV access.

We also have the IO but it depending on the situation, I could draw up Valium faster and give it rectally than doing the IO route. IO could be my second treatment after administering Valium.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.