Medical terminology game

future medic 48_234

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beware the dissecting aortic aneurysm in a patient with Marfan's syndrome. It's the early killer of that syndrome. It's probably not the answer you seek, but it's important to note the high probability of this in that particular patient.

Epistaxis:

Nosebleed.

Michael....the difference between an illness that's contracted at/from a doctor/hospital and an illness that is caused by medication is quite a bit different. From a doctor's office or hospital, a person may contract a staph infection if an instrument used to suture a wound is not properly autoclaved. On the other hand, I recently found an article though this site that went into signs & symptoms of an illness that could be caused by the interaction of the drug Imitrex (and other migraine medications) with anti-depressants such as Zoloft that are seritonin reuptake inhibitors. This includes dizziness, nausea/vomiting and loss of balance. These problems can be caused by other illnesses such as labrinthitis, so a patient suffering from these signs might have to go through numberous tests if the doctors don't realize that there could be an interaction since a migraine medication would be given by a neurologist and the anti-depressant would either be given by a GP or psychiatrist. (I actually know someone who had this happen due to a combination of drugs and had the neurologist and psychiatrist BOTH tell him that no medication that they had perscribed could be causing the problems. They were BOTH WRONG.)

Now for the next word.......adenomyosis.

Michael....the difference between an illness that's contracted at/from a doctor/hospital and an illness that is caused by medication is quite a bit different.

Hi rat -

Thanks for taking the trouble. You inspired me to look further, and I seem to have learned that there's both a broader and narrower range of meaning to iatrogenic, which I hadn't realized, having been accustomed only to the former, which I found here and, conveniently, here. I post these so that others reading this thread don't wind up with egg on their face by too readily censoring an alternate legitimate use of the term.

Best,

Michael

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.