Electronic PCR's

I've had a little background in ePCR's.

It really all depends on what kind of program and equipment that your company goes with.

I've worked at companies that just have a little tablet and a wireless keyboard/mouse that you just go in and click here, and type in your narritive. But I've also worked at a company that had a tablet, along with software developed in house that was just basicly tap and go.

My personal oppinion... I love them. Especially the ones with the keyboard, because I can type faster then I can write, and when I am writing by hand, sometimes I outthink how fast I'm writinig, and skip ahead. ePCR's look not only alot more professional and uniform, but are easier to read. God knows I'm one of them, but you know there are field personel out there with handwritting that would put a Doc to shame.

The downsides: Cost. Not only in the inital start up, but in maintiance. You know that whatever equipment they go with, its going to get dropped. Its going to cook in the sun. Upkeep... gotta maintain them. Basicly either have to have a IT department, or a contractor that can update the program, trouble shoot program glitches, etc. Gotta have a place to print them. One of the places I worked, they carry little HP printers with them in the rigs, and plug them in at the hospital. Another place has laser printers and docking stations in the hospitals of the area, and a printer hooked up in the back of the rig for places that don't have printers. Those have to be kept up also.

Anyway, I was kinda rambeling, hope something helps.

We use Lifenet software by Medusa. It's ok I guess. It took a while to get all the bugs worked out but now I can't complain. Typical problems encountered with new technology but otherwise it makes doing a single report a lot easier. We also use the Panasonic Toughbooks.

Hope this helps.

As it would happen, our company announced today that we recieved funding from the provincial government to implement our e-pcr project.

I don't know a whole lot about it, except that they hired two full time support personnel and we will be using Panasonic thoughbook CF19s and medusa lifenet 2.2 software.

Also our CAD will be integrated into the toughbooks as well as our computer mapping software.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.