• Truck
    • Bus
    • Medic
    • Rescue
    • Car
    • Box
    • Van
    • Giant piece of expletive!!

I "learned" to call it a "box", but that always referred to the back mainly. That was in CA though and here in OH most people refer to it as a "squad", (which always bugged me because a police car was a "squad car" in CA) or a bus, (noted cause they wanna sound cool like those fellers in NYC).

I have noticed that west coast seems to prefer "box" and east coast seems to prefer "bus". In the middle it ranges from "truck", "rig" or "squad" (rural). With FD's that run both fire and ems, truck is the ladder and one of the others is used for the ambulance.

OMG I'm so confused! :roll:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to mix it up a bit. Hate for things to be too predictable so it depends on the mood of the day.

Truck or Unit# is the norm here but I think today it will be the "ambushack"

Thanks for all the great new names for my truck. I'm sure I can cause lots of confusion now....I love to throw out a new word unexpectedly and recieve a blank look back while my partner tries to think fast and figure out what the hell I am talking about.....hahaha :twisted:

"Bucket Fairies" may be based on the oldest type of fire departments, the "bucket brigades".

"Vanbulance"? Perhaps I show my age (yet again), but I think that was either an ambulance manufacturer, or a specific model ambulance from a particular manufacturer.

I sometimes slip, and call my EMS vehicle a "bus".

One of my buddies, from prior to the FDNY/EMS merger, sometimes would be called directly on the NYPD portable he carried with him, to respond, prior to being called to the assignment by the EMD. He told me that one time, an NYPD car's team called him, telling him to "rush the bus," an obvious term for "get over here, yesterday preferred".

He told them he was delayed enroute. When asked why, he told PD "I have to stop at the transit depot for a bus, I'm in an AMBULANCE!"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.