• Car
    • Box
    • Van
    • Giant piece of expletive!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to reiterate Federal Law # 4532.267, or more commonly referred to as the "Anti-Third-Watch-Wannabe-Retard" law, which states "No individual who is employed in EMS, volunteer or paid, in any capacity, outside of the five boroughs of the City of New York, may refer to an ambulance, in whole or in part, as a 'bus', for any reason outside of a direct quote, theatrical production, or for sarcastic and/or humorous effect."

NYPD really does say 'bus'. I usually call it the 'Truck', because to me a Type I is a truck. Then the firefighters get annoyed because to them, a ladder company is a truck company, and therefore the ladder is a truck.

Corollary 1: Those who have worked in New York City at any time, for more than eighteen months full-time employment, are allowed to call it a bus.

A lot of my instructors, friends, and my preceptor tend to use the term "amb" (pronounced amm or emb) in conversation. ("ok, park the amb over behind the timmies"). Otherwise it's "car". I.E., "this station has five cars on duty".

Specifically, we call the ambulances by their call signs. In general here in Illinois though, they are most often referred to as trucks, as they were also when I lived in NM. When I lived in Boston, it was a bus, and wisconsin and alot of midwesterners seems to favor rig, which is what I call them, though sometimes bus does slip out.

I generally call it a truck. However, I enjoy irritating people I hate like burlap on bare skin, so I've taken to calling it a "bus" here. I don't like this area, and it brings a smile on my face when I say "bus" and people cringe in distaste. It's amazing what people get jacked up over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.