• Truck
    • Bus
    • Medic
    • Rescue
    • Car
    • Box
    • Van
    • Giant piece of expletive!!

After perusing the boards I noticed that everyone has a different phrase for ambulance. Some call it a bus, others a unit and still others a truck.

So since the weather is bad here I decided to create a new poll question. What do you call the vehicle you ride in, you know the one with lights and sirens. Besides answering the poll, give us an idea where in the country your at, so we can all see if it is a regional or personal preference.

Peace,

Marty

teacher.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WE HAVE PURCHASED BRAND NEW STERLING TRUCKS, AND MAY I SAY THEY ARE NICE. A FEW PROBLEMS, THE RUBBER DIAMOND PLATING IS A PAIN TO CLEAN. THE FRONT IS VERY SPARTAN, AND SO MUCH SPACE IS WASTED WHEN IT COULD BE USED AND POSITIONED MORE APPROPRIATELY. WE ALSO HAVE FREIGHT LINERS WHICH DO THE JOB. WAY BETTER THAN TINY VANS OR CADILLAC HEARSES OF THE PAST.

You left out my favorite! I call it the RIG!!!

As of this summer I call it the box b/c that's what all my co-workers at the camp called the Elbert FD units.

I've also called it a bus, and the giant POS over that way...

Wendy

Rig..... closely followed by unit #. I think there is already a thread on this... might give you more information... just use the search key.

I would like to reiterate Federal Law # 4532.267, or more commonly referred to as the "Anti-Third-Watch-Wannabe-Retard" law, which states "No individual who is employed in EMS, volunteer or paid, in any capacity, outside of the five boroughs of the City of New York, may refer to an ambulance, in whole or in part, as a 'bus', for any reason outside of a direct quote, theatrical production, or for sarcastic and/or humorous effect."

NYPD really does say 'bus'. I usually call it the 'Truck', because to me a Type I is a truck. Then the firefighters get annoyed because to them, a ladder company is a truck company, and therefore the ladder is a truck.

I typically call it either the truck or the ambulance. I absolutely, positively hate it when people call it a bus. Granted, I have had plenty of runs where I felt like all I was providing was a ride and that it was a huge abuse of the system, but if we are wanting to be taken more seriously as a profession our actions and our speech must reflect that. I don't think that calling your ambulance a "bus" is a very positive reflection of the image most of us want to project to the general public. Changing public opinion begins with presenting ourselves in a manner that says we are professionals, not just ambulance drivers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.