Medics getting crazy checks ?

I don't know if this has been brought up here. I know one emt that walked off a bad wreck scene and is now drawing a check. I had another medic tell me this week thagt he quit work and told them he was crazy failed the test and is now drawing a check. I know another emt that walked off a bad scene and never went back to work . I just wonder what you think about this. Do you wonder if there will be a call that pushes you over the edge? Or are you already gone nuts just need to be verified and get your check. And I am not making fun of any one just wondering what you think..............thankss

Hmmm,,, Sounds a bit like an urban legend to me..... I've worked in the Largest EMS system in the US if not the world, and I also worked in many other systems,,, I dont think i've ever heard of medics just retiring due to stress and getting "crazy paychecks". I think usually quite the opposite is true.... they sustain a job ending injury nad either move to an allied health field like nursing where the pay is better, or they get a low paying job flippin burgers at McDonalds...

Now that many systems have 3/4.. with no taxes.. it may not be as bad,,, but think about it.. whats the average medic make 50K...? OK,,, 75K a year tops.??.... so what 3/4 of that ???tops is 56K ?.... can you really live on that ?... especially if you have a family...?

I'd like to know more about where you got your information so I could investigate a little further.....

Now I do know for a fact that sme NYPD officers have retired on 3/4 then moved to FLA, and becuase the Police system is different got full time jobs as cops and sherifffs down there ,,,, and they are double dipping,,, but EMS folks,, no,, havent heard that ... If you can cite some specific examples ,,,, that would be great,,, thanks

And to answer your other question about being pushed over the edge,,, a good CISM debriefing is in order and with some peers not some BS PSYCHOLOGIST who thinks they know what you see and do every day ... that can be very helpful in getting someone through a hard period after a rough call....

Personally I feel that everyone has their breaking point at some time........some break before others but we are all human and as humans we are designed with certain weaknesses.... some are stronger than others some are weaker but no matter how strong we are everyone of us has a breaking point some where........but the true test of our inner strength is how we deal with it and handle the stress and the situtation.....do we deal with it and go on or do we give into it and walk away it a personal thing that each of us must decide because who knows us better than ourselves....jus my two cents worth.........

Terri

PTSD is a psychological disorder and personally prefer not to be diagnosed with. One would have to got through a battery of test and probably prescribed medication as well before medical retirement would be awarded if and that is a big IF allowed to be covered even. Most would have to go on disability...I know of fires service that was able to truly claim PTSD after the OKC bombing, but the medics were not able to receive the same benefits due to the retirement structure and benefits package. Now, diagnoses with PTSD, these medics will never be allowed to maintain any "stressful" job. This would include any healthcare /public service, etc.. profession.

One needs to be sure, that they are truly diagnosed and receive treatment of PTSD, and not try to "scam" and receive undue benefits.. which could be perceived as insurance fraud and potentially have financial fines and possible prison time.

R/r 911

• 1 year later...

We don't have crazy checks around here. Maybe it is a local thing? But I know people that have left EMS due to a bad experience, but they got a job doing something else, didn't get a check for it. And to the prior poster who said average pay is 56K... where are you so I can move there. I only make 36K a year working lots of overtime. And we are told, even told this today, that our rates are comparable with other places.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.