Photo IDs, anyone?

samson722

I'm curious...apart from company IDs, is there anyone out there that has a photo ID for their state card? I heard that CA issues EMT cards as a photo ID, but MA is pretty lame...paper cards that bend, rip, and become illegible pretty quick. I don't wanna sound like a whacker, but I think that it would lend a bit of legitimacy in the public eye for us to have something a little more official than a ratty piece of paper in our wallet that says we're allowed to work on you. Being on a volly squad, I don't always have something on me to signify that I am indeed an EMT (other than my card). What I'm getting at is that I'm not always wearing uniform pants or a t-shirt/job shirt. So, a couple times when I've responded POV, I've been asked for ID by family members or other people on scene that didn't know me. Smart on their part, I would too, if I didn't know the responding parties in question. But all I had to show for it was my ratty State card. Any solutions? I DONT want to wear a badge (I do have one, but it was given as a gift, and I rarely have it with me), as it tends to destroy people's trust when they see someone that could look the slightest bit like a cop (we get that all the time when we're in uniform and on-shift). On the bright side, I laminated my state card, so it's a little more presentable, but I would really like to know if anyone knows of a place to get a photo ID done. I'd heard of FF's being able to get them done at Fire Chief's conventions, but nothing for EMS. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Samson

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it sets any precedent, neither the medical nor nursing boards issue photo ID's, nor do any other allied health licensing agency that I am aware of. But then again, most of them don't carry scanners in their cars so they can respond to off duty wrecks either.

No. I can't think of any particularly good reason for them. Only a whacker would be flashing it to anybody anyhow, especially at a scene where you are nothing more than a Good Samaritan. In a professional situation, your ID will be matched against your DL anyhow, so positive ID isn't a problem.

Don't tempt your state to do anything that they are likely to charge you more money for.

If it sets any precedent, neither the medical nor nursing boards issue photo ID's, nor do any other allied health licensing agency that I am aware of. But then again, most of them don't carry scanners in their cars so they can respond to off duty wrecks either.

No. I can't think of any particularly good reason for them. Only a whacker would be flashing it to anybody anyhow, especially at a scene where you are nothing more than a Good Samaritan.

I didn't mean to sound like a whacker at all, Dust. I work in a rural system where for a lot of people, myself included, it can sometimes be better to respond POV and wait for the truck to come. In MA, it takes 2 EMTs to roll with an ambulance, and because we have a hard time getting a crew together, we might respond POV with a jump bag waiting for mutual aid or for more people to show up at the station. I'm talking along the lines of a call on my street, or a couple blocks over. The only reason I brought this up is because I was ASKED for ID. I'm not one of those sh*theads that would swagger onto a scene and announce loudly that I'm an EMT, but I'd be a little nervous too if someone runs into my house with a jump bag, but wearing a tshirt and jeans. If I pissed you off, I'm sorry, it's just that our system out here is far from perfect. We have 35 EMTs on the roster, but a lot of times, it's pretty difficult to get people to show up to the station. Just as luck would have it, most of the time my pager goes off when I'm on my way back to town, or when i'm horribly far away from the station, but closer to the scene. Responding POV is optional, but encouraged, as we want to at least get the ball rolling in terms of patient care. The way I see it is that I'm a lot more helpful to a patient who's in trouble and scared if I'm actually there, rather than going 5 minutes out of my way to get to the station. On several occasions, I've turned around to try and make it to the station, and missed the truck altogether. That really made me feel like an ass. I just want to do what I feel is best for the patient. I'm not trying to boost my ego and feel all important by screaming onto a scene. I don't have lights in my car, or a siren, nor do I really feel they're necessary. Although, it's tough to get there as fast as people who are as crazy as some of my coworkers. Sorry to have upset you. I hope you can see my point of view on this.

Samson

During this day and age of terrorism,,, Photo I.D's are a MUST... but making your state ems office issue them is not the answer..... A lamintated Photo I.D. from the company or dept or volly squad that you work for is probably a better idea.

If you are worried about having your level of cert. .. you can add a line on it with State EMT # and level of cert.

As far as your State EMT card getting ratty looking........Laminate it.... it will look and stay fresh.

And I agree with you badges are not the answer....unless you area LEO.

good luck

That is not the way I intended my statement, and I apologise if you took it that way. I'm just saying that if somebody of some consequence asks for ID and doesn't like what you present them, screw them. They can take your help or leave it. As for any officials who don't like it, they have no authority to deny you access anyhow so again, screw them. All you can do is your job. You can't really worry about what some idiot cop is going to think of your ID. And I have never had a patient ask for it in over thirty years.

Again, it wasn't a personal judgement of you, as I have no idea how you personally function. :)

To reply to the OP about California, I'm not sure about the state cards (we just recently went to NR, so there are a lot of people still using the state cert), but both of my local cards ("Ambulance Attendent" licensed and EMT-B cert) are pictured IDs.

Why are your cards getting all torn and worn out. Stop pulling them out of your wallet trying to impress someone. All of my cards are in my planner that stays at the house. I have no reason to carry them around. If I need them for an application or something like that, then I copy them and take the copy with me. My wife has even more cards than I do and she does the same thing. There is really no need to carry them on your person daily.

Why are your cards getting all torn and worn out. Stop pulling them out of your wallet trying to impress someone. All of my cards are in my planner that stays at the house. I have no reason to carry them around. If I need them for an application or something like that, then I copy them and take the copy with me. My wife has even more cards than I do and she does the same thing. There is really no need to carry them on your person daily.
Actually, in MA we are REQUIRED to carry them when working. We are not considered to be EMTs by the State if we do not have them on are person. We are also required to present them to anyone who asks us to produce them. Dial it back a notch...every time I post here, I feel like I'm being made out to be a whacker. I may be new at this, but I'm just trying to learn and trying to do the best I can at this job. I know people who have never taken them out of their wallet except to make a photo copy, and they're falling apart. They're the same material as our AHA CPR cards. FYI, all of my cards are laminated, I was just trying to illustrate a point.

Interesting .... in NYS,, you are required to carry your EMT or P card with you while riding on an ambulance or providing any type of patient care .... A state DOH inspector can stop you and ask for your cards,,, if you dont have them ... he can place you out of service.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.