Driving Record

Hello all,

Does anyone know how heavily my driving record is going to be weighed against me when I begin to apply at companys as an EMT-B? I currently have 6 points on my license which equate to 3 moving violations, however 2 of those points fall off this April.

I appreciate any responses I get in advance.

Thanks!

It all depends on the insurance carrier your company has. They set what guidelines the drivers must have. They might require you to be 21 or even 25 in order to drive. If you have 6 points, check with the state regarding a driving safety course. Some states will drop a couple of points if you sit through their driving safety class. Good luck.

I would say that you need to get rid of a couple of those points. The company I used to work for would not hire anyone who had more than 3 points on their license. Check their insurance requirements before you apply.

I've worked at 9 different services over the past 20 years and none of those services would hire you either. 6 points is way too high. The insurance we had would not even approve if you were only patient care. Due to the fact that there is always the off chance that you would have to drive incase your partner took care of the patient on that one time odd deal.

Good luck, I'd be really careful from here on out with your driving and not get any tickets. I understand that these points might have been when you were like 16 or so but the fact of the matter still is that you have 6 points and that will count against you big time.

How close where those tickets together and how long ago where they...those are two questions that their insurance company is going to look at. It is easier to get hired on as a non-driving paramedic then an EMT-B. You pose a problem for the scheduling person if they can't just put anyone with you.

Hello all,

Does anyone know how heavily my driving record is going to be weighed against me when I begin to apply at companys as an EMT-B? I currently have 6 points on my license which equate to 3 moving violations, however 2 of those points fall off this April.

I appreciate any responses I get in advance.

Thanks!

It is my experience that more than two points they won't touch you.

The very MINIMUM education you should have to enter EMS is two years.

So, that gives you two years to clean up your driving record before you're ready to hit the street. If you're serious about this profession, you shouldn't have a problem with either of those. If you do, you don't belong here.

Good luck!

At the basic level, you might be out of luck. Most places I know of either use basics as drivers or if they are a basic service (yep, they exist) then they run with two basics and they alternate who drives and who does patient care. Not fair to your partner if you aren't allowed to drive and they never get to work in the back.

If I were in your shoes, I would look into either joining a volunteer squad where you don't need to worry about driving while you gain some experience or go back to school to work on your paramedic while your record clears up. Even then you might have trouble getting a position.

I was in an accident involving a fatality...since legally I was at fault, it still affects my record...and eight years later, I still don't drive anything except my private vehicle. I'll be cleared to drive the ambulance in December.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.