High blood glucose............

medic_4_life

I had a patient yesterday with a urine glucose of >250, yet his blood glucose was only 113, and he had no diabetic history.

That one threw me for a loop!

I had a patient yesterday with a urine glucose of >250, yet his blood glucose was only 113, and he had no diabetic history.

That one threw me for a loop!

Thank goodness for functioning kidneys :lol:

Dustdevil, if repeated testing confirms this finding, here are a few conditions to consider:

-Renal Glucosuria, Benign (hopefully)

-Fanconi Syndrome, I would not expect to find this on in an adult.

-Lowe Syndrome, I would not expect to find this in an adult either.

-Wilson Disease, I would expect pronounced Hepatic & CNS S/S.

-Nephritis

-Tyrosinemia, another infant disease.

I hope this helps.

Take care,

chbare.

Dustdevil, if repeated testing confirms this finding, here are a few conditions to consider:

-Renal Glucosuria, Benign (hopefully)

That is what I concluded. His chief complaint was diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting x 24 hours. Viral gastroenteritis with dehydration was my diagnosis. I think the sudden F&E shift just kicked his kidneys into overdrive dumping sugar temporarily. Was certainly a weird finding though! I had to consider there for a bit that AODM may have been the condition behind the symptoms. Turns out though, that it was just a sign of the dehydration. I put two litres of fluid into him and he looked and felt fine the next day.

Amazing, what the human body can tolerate at times. I know of a Paramedic that glucose was >2000, and you could smell the ketones. I remember him coming off a call and we drew lab on him, and his glucose was >2000 diluted. Fortunately, I knew a endocrinologist, that was able to put a Insulin pump in him, and he still functions as a medic today > 10 yrs later and his average glucose is 100 g/dl.

R/r 911

Medic_4_life, that sounds like a bad case. Unfortunately, pancreatic neoplasms almost always have a poor prognosis. Even surgical options for pancreatic cancer are palliative at best. (usually)

Dustdevil, do you see allot of rhabdo.. in the sand box?

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.