First Shift Advice

Yes sir, Massachussettes.

And yes, it was 60h. Haha, I actually thought that was alot cause the minimum is like 35-40. Everyone was like "your still doing your ride time?!!! jesus!!" oh well.

I assumed you were from Mass because of your AN avatar.

Yeah 60 hrs really doesn't seem like a lot. What did most of that time consist of doing? Were you out riding around? at the station?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy dinner for the station, you owe it to them. If you are just there with your partner, consider yourself lucky to get off cheap. Also, relax and speak up if you aren't comfortable with a situation, you aren't going to be expected to know everything if your a new medic who is new to the company as well (guessed by your age). Make sure you get a good nights rest, you might be up all night. Also, don't sleep during the day if you aren't allowed too. Be prompt about getting to the truck, and don't ask to run a million errands if your partner would rather chill all day.

Please, just use common sense!

-Be sure to be on time (which is actually 20 to 30 minutes early)

-Be active participant in the vehicle check and morning paperwork

-Introduce yourself and shake hands with everyone at your station, greet them warmly then keep quiet

-Try not to get too excited when responding to your first call, ask your partner what their pre-call ritual is and what they

normally bring in with them based on the call

-Think your way through your calls.

-This isn't school so please converse with your patients to build rapport, don't solely ask them about their SAMPLE hx and then clam up tight, these are real humans with real problems and called an ambulance for a reason, you'll be amazed at how easy it will put people at ease if you make a comment about their home or family, and that will subconsciously let them know you're not stressed, so why should they be?

-Talk to your partner during calls, tell him/her what you're thinking and see what they are thinking

-Keep your ambulance neat, tidy and clean, it is your office for the next 12 hours

-Treat everyone on your scene with respect. You can delegate and ask people to do things for you, but be sure to do it in a calm tone with a smile on your face.

-If you're driving, obey all rules and regulations of the road, and WEAR YOUR SEATBELT, especially if you're sitting in the front cab.

-When driving emergency, it is not usually necessary to leave the siren 'on' in a continous wail, give people lots of space, maintain an average speed and be alert for people to suddenly break and swerve in front of you. Don't scowl and get mad at the, realise they probably really didn't see you until just then and were surprised and tried to get out of your way as quickly as possible ( :roll: :lol:) Be aware that people LOVE to 'draft' ambulances, because they think that since you're clearing traffic, it will make a quicker route for them.

-Love what you do. If you don't, get out. There's many easier jobs out there that pay much better, but you'll receive a lot of satisfaction and reward if you look at each call as a problem to be solved, not someones life to be saved.

There's more, but I can't hog it all ... ;)

Alot of great tips and suggestions have already been made and as someone else has already said check your own truck do not think that it is ok because someone else checked it. You are responsible for your truck and gear until the end of your shift and it is so very important it needs to be mentioned numerous times. Tell your partner right from the start that you are new and nervous and willing to learn, take constructive feedback from your partner and just stay calm on calls. I am not sure of your level but remember if you are ALS and things are not going so well revert back to the basics. Without good BLS there is no need for ALS. Have fun stay alert and on your toes and most of all have fun.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

hey thanks for all the tips ladies and gents I appreciate it alot. well the truck that I was on was posted in a town far away from the station in attempt to push AMR's connectivity, so there wasn't much action. Actually there were two transfers of the same patient, to dialysis in the beginning of the shift and a return towards the end. But let me tell you how much of an idiot I am. We start to head out to a hospital to get some sheets when we first hit the road. I hopped out of the truck and went into the hospital to get the sheets and start for my return just intensely thinking about how the day is going to go, running all the tips through my head. I hop back into the wrong freakin truck that was parked right next the one I was in, didn't even realize there was two. I hop in and look up at two EMT's looking back at me from the front, "hey wrong truck buddy." Awsome first impression, an IDIOT. Well, I guess the lesson here is to not let your thinking about a situation get in the way of what is actually in front of you. over-analyzing a situation. Or I'm just an idiot and trying to make an excuse for it ha ha. Okay well, it was a good day, partner was quite cool, but not really used to most of those quiet moments when you have nothing to say. Thanks though for the comfort.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.