First Shift Advice

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, my first shift as a medic? Active MI, a pain mngmt for a hip Fx and an active stroke. EMT was too many years ago :?

Take everyone here to task. Take a slow deep breath. Check your truck out. Pull things out of the cabinets and see if you know how to operate them/use them. Talk to your partner, let him/her know what your strength(s) and weakness(es) are, ask them how they run a call, i.e. stay and play or load and go. Don't be afraid to boss them around a bit on calls if your are the sr. att. If something does not go your way (and believe it will happen) keep your cool and wait until after the call to vent. Remember the deodorant commercial "never let them see you sweat!" Oh, and don't forget to punch in at the beginning of your shift and out at the end of it. That would suck if you don't get paid for your efforts :)

Minus five for using unapproved abbreviations.

CA is in most agencies' approved abbreviation lists, but it doesn't usually mean whatever you are using it to mean. And, luckily for us, most of us on this board aren't in the Northeast, so please speak English if you want people to understand you.

ADVICE for your first shift, and for your career: Pay more attention to medicine and procedures than trying to fit in with the cool kids by learning the local lingo.

Good luck!

Dust wrote

And, luckily for us, most of us on this board aren't in the Northeast

I think we might be the ones who are lucky.

I might have asked you this before Dust, but did you get beat up a lot when you were a kid?

At least you would have and excuse for your piss poor attitude for everything that is not DustDevil approved.

Rid wrote

And, luckily for us, most of us on this board aren't in the Northeast

I think we might be the ones who are lucky.

I might have asked you this before Rid, but did you get beat up a lot when you were a kid?

At least you would have and excuse for your piss poor attitude for everything that is not RID RYDER approved.

Ummmm, that was dustdevil who wrote that.....

Guys could we stick to the topic please! Im sick of people backstabbing and saying negative things in these forums! Lets try and help this guy not scare him away... Its his first shift give him some support!

read all labels before you use anything.....

use your own judgment about your co-workers......instead of someone else's

always...always...always be responsible for YOUR equipment.....never trust that someone else took care of it (this is a repeat, but is that important)

talk to your partner and get to know them......before you go on that first call!!!!

and most important.....clean up your messes, i hate cleaning up after someone because they are to lazy to do it themselves

good luck, and try to have some fun!!!!

madmedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.