First Shift Advice

How's everyone been? I start my first shift in a few days (already completed applications and ride time) and I have to admit I am a tad bit nervous. Just looking out for some last advice if you would be so kind. Also wondering about all of your experiences for your first time. Thanks.

J

Also, is it much of a problem when you don't know the area that well? Problems with partners who don't know the way? I mean I know of the area that I am in, but for some reason my scheduler disregarded all the towns I wanted to be in and gave something that I am totally not familiar with...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's everyone been? I start my first shift in a few days (already completed applications and ride time) and I have to admit I am a tad bit nervous. Just looking out for some last advice if you would be so kind. Also wondering about all of your experiences for your first time. Thanks.

J

My best advice is to take the cotton out of your ears (because that is where most everyone keeps it) and put it in your mouth.

Also, is it much of a problem when you don't know the area that well? Problems with partners who don't know the way? I mean I know of the area that I am in, but for some reason my scheduler disregarded all the towns I wanted to be in and gave something that I am totally not familiar with...

Use the map BEFORE you start driving to the call.

First time shift ------ count to 5 before you go in the scene. If you feel yourself getting Vclempshed count to 3

As for unfamiliar location you will be covering - why don't you take a day or so and drive the streets of the area you are covering. You'll get some sense of thru streets and such.

READ THE MAP

Good luck

just a note on my first shift, 1 MI, 1 adult code and a pediatric code all in the first 12 hours. the other 12 we ran 1 call. so it comes and goes.

how many calls do you think the unit you are running run's in a 24 hour period

are you starting out as a 3rd person or are they just throwing you to the wolves, your post wasnt completely clear on that part. If you are riding 3rd person then your preceptor or FTO should be on the ball and not let you flounder.

No I am done with 3rd ride time, It's going to be me and a partner. Tell the truth, I did almost 60 hours of ride time because I wanted to get my hands on an emergency, even riding with a CA truck I didn't. So my first shift, is on friday and I wish I had time to drive around, but unfortunatly I do not. I am per diem as well.

I am also not sure about the call ratio.

Best advice I can give you is to work out all your issues with your new partner right up front. Let him/her know where your areas of weakness are and express to them your concerns. They should be receptive to you being assertive enough to tell them up front instead of letting them find out at the worst time. Plus, they might be a little more eager to work with you right from the start. And did I read your reply right? You only rode 3rd out for 60hrs? Doesn't seem like a lot of time for a new employee to get familiar with the area and system. Our new employees have to ride a MINIMUM of 20 shifts (mostly 12 hr shifts) before they are even considered to be released.

If you're honest from the get go, then your partner will probably have an easier time trusting you when the ca ca hits the fan.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Dont fall over the gutter out the front of the station and smash your nose on the footpath in front of all the paramedics and boss's like a freind of mine did LOL! You'll never live it down lol. Nah you'll be right mate!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.