Behold, my badass combat pack!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people are you looking after with that pack? Company size or smaller?

I have primary responsibility for an 80 man company. However, I work out of a clinic (see "Dustdevil in Iraq" thread) without spending too much time in the field. The pack now is pretty much just for response to incidents of incoming or other on-base trauma. I don't have to practise medicine out of there anymore. Now it's just in case I have to take care of something serious on post while waiting for a medevac.

Though I like my Blackhawk and my STOMP, Im liking the new gig where the logistics and transport teams haul our gear, set up our compound into triage, de-con, BLS and ALS treatment, field surgery hootch and commo bunker and all I have to worry about is my personal gear which I carry in either a CamelBak BFM 72-Hour ruck or a CFP-90 depending on where we are headed. We ran a MCI drill this weekend and it was nice not to have to ruck everything. Plus, our "packs" are fully heated and/or air-conditioned and big enough to sleep in and use some of them as post-op and rehab wards. Gotta love pre-fab field hospitals.

• 7 months later...
All the vehicles are now given a bag (I forget the name) that carries the collapsing field stretcher in the main compartment, and has outside compartments for medical supplies. Looks like a big backpack.

Its made by North American Rescue (NARESCUE.COM). They seem to be making ALOT of products for the military, as just about everything has a NSN #. The bag in question is the Warrior Aid and Litter Kit - WALK . They are awsome, I got to play around with one at a conference a little while ago. I would feel really good about having one of those in every military vehicle along with a combat casualty card, which I think they have, it could definitely save lives even if there isnt a medic in the immediate area.

• 1 month later...

Hey Dust,

We've had real good results with jamshidis on adults through the sternum. They take up zero space and weigh nothing.

As for bags, the ol' M5 seems to still be the best size imo, large enough to carry the basics, small enough to keep me from getting stupid with supplies.

That being said, I have a TT M5 with the PALS strips on the outside and I've loaded it to the friggin' gills. At least I can move the external pouches to a vest when I'm doing something that isn't ambulance based. Dust is right when he says that folks with their own IFAKs really reduce your load.

And Dust, that pack still rocks.

• 3 months later...

Lose the light sticks; 5x9's ain't bad. get rid of the cook kit, has issues. mox nix the quickclot powder blows all over the place, granules in a bandage form gives you better bleeding control. Cat's eye? 1 multi trauma dressing? 7, 8, and 9 ET tubes are a fair standard for Intubation. mox nix the fast track IO, splinters bone way to easily. black colored (tactical) leatherman wave has multiple uses. Promed hip trauma pouch for hot fast running. dental supplies (caps, fillings). Ginger gum, PO meds? Otherwise pack not bad, lite and easy. Stay safe!

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.