Why are you in EMS?  

57 members have voted

1. 1.

• Love dealing with people from all walks of life
    • Just sort of ended up here
    • Just for a paycheck
    • They won't let me ride on the fire engine unless I do EMS
    • The lights and sirens really give me a rush

Toysoldier--I see you have already seen the negative side of EMS...that is the ones that are burned out or in the business for the wrong reasons or possibly just miserable people. Sure, there are days when all you can see is the negative for whatever reasons, but for the majority of it, this is a very rewarding career.

I do think before you start Paramedic school that you work for a year or two as an EMT. I think it is important to get the basics down first. I wish I had waited and worked a little bit more as an EMT before medic school. Being a good EMT only ensures making a good Medic. Don't worry about what others say, do what you think is best for you. Only you can decide. All we can do is tell you what we feel/think and what we have learned.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I think you have chosen a great and rewarding career.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the great replies. It looks like the trick is going to be to avoid (as much as possible) the bitter, burnt out types and cling to the ones that haven't let the profession get the better of them.

I'd also like to throw this out for discussion. It seems like maybe people who come into EMS really gung-ho are more likely to burnout in a hurry, as opposed to the ones that come in and realize this is something they're going to do for the rest of their lives and sort of conserve their energy. :?: Right now, there's this new guy at the station that's really gung-ho and they're saying he won't last long. This guy can't get enough. Works 7 days a week...takes any extra shift he can get (if he cannot get extra shifts, he'll ride 3rd on his days off). Has a bunch of radios and equipment in his POV so 'if he's in the area' he can try to beat the ambulance to a call when he's off duty. If red lights and siren were legal for POV's in Nevada, he'd probably have those too. Literally eats, drinks and sleeps EMS (and about 100 energy drinks a day). Kind of scares me a little. :shock: Oddly enough, the company thinks this guy's the best thing to come along since the defibrillator. But I have to wonder how long someone can last without proper balance in life? I would think the person who makes time for family, friends, hobbies, sports, etc. would do much better in the business than someone who's racing like a meteor to earth.

becksdad wrote: P.S.- Just remember we're all a little whacked in the head...look past our individual insanities OK?

I guess I ought to fit in just fine :)

Toysoldier, that guy you described fits the WHACKER description to a T.

My advice, everything this guy does make sure you don't do the same. Do not try to beat the ambulance if you are in your pov, don't get any radios unless they are provided to you by the company, do not put lights on your car, don't work 7 days a week and don't ride 3rd person if you don't have to.

He's a whacker and that is definately what you do not want to become.

Oh, no need to worry about that. I have better things to do with my time than to run around trying to beat ambulances to emergencies. Besides...the on-duty EMS units can get to any call in a matter of 3 or 4 minutes anyway. They dispatch a fire rescue squad and an ALS ambulance to every medical call. Sometimes even an engine too. That means there'll be a minimum of 4 paramedics responding, so what help would they possibly need or want from an off-duty basic???

Have a nice Labor Day weekend everyone :D

The fact this person is enthusiastic about the job, means he will be around forever. Those that come in thinking they will be doing life saving every day, every call, get burnt the fastest. When you recognize the reality of the job you are in, you don't get burnt out too quickly.

I don't know where he is, but becksdad has some wisdom in his post. :D Don't spend too much time gathering opinions from everyone, some will be good, some will be total garbage. Know who you can trust, know your own limitations, take the occasional day/week/month off, and you will do fine.

Welcome to the City and to EMS in general!

I just got back on with my volunteer ambulance. We were doing stand-by at the football game last night and I started talking with a first responder who was with us. She is burnt out after a year, going to every call, meeting and getting kicked around by the others on the dept. She wants to quit now. So I told her to look into her heart as to why she got into this in the first place and go with it. It's what I am doing and I feel it is the best choice for me. The first time I was with the ambulance, I came in gung-ho and wanted to do everything and do it all now! I was quickly set straight by burnt out medics and those who told me "we have always done it this way" attitudes. I became one of them......the type of medic I never wanted to become.

Like the others here have said, hang closely with people who's attitudes and skills you admire. Take what you need and can use and leave the politics, nastiness and negativity at rest. You will never get rich off EMS and there will be times you want to chuck it all. Reach inside yourself, do some reflecting and keep going. I truely love EMS and am willing to take the crap to keep providing the care and trying to make a difference in my patient's lives.

Much luck to you!:)

Toysoldier,

I, too, am new to this website. I have been in EMS for almost 20 years, and if you had told me this is what I would be doing as a career way back when, I would have told you that you were a few sandwiches shy of a picnic. I have gone through what I like to call "mini burnouts", but for me, they never last. My faith in this business gets renewed frequently by some of the most mundane calls. I sometimes find myself feeling negative and wanting to vent. However, I always try to temper that, especially if there are new people around. I took a 5-week crash course for my basic EMT ( they no longer offer this - it was a one-time pilot project). In South Carolina, you had to be an EMT for six months before you could apply for paramedic school. I barely made the six months. Anyway, here in S. Carolina, we still have certificate programs for paramedic, as well as 2-year degree programs that you can began right off the street, taking you to Basic EMT, all the way to paramedic. I am sure there are other states similar to this. Anyway, good luck with your endeavor.

. Besides...the on-duty EMS units can get to any call in a matter of 3 or 4 minutes anyway.

I'm sure the reality of it all is 3 to 4 minutes but not always as in this case, where do you live, tiny town? cuz tiny town you can get anywhere in a matter of 3 to 4 min's. In a large to medium size city we are talking at least 8'minutes here and thats a real bummer, so if there is no ambulance in the district, they send First responders, that always being the fire dept.

Windsong...

You are right that an EMS unit cannot always be on scene in 3 to 4 minutes. What I really mean to say is that more often than not, there is either a fire rescue squad or an ALS ambulance on scene in that amount of time. (The goal they strive for here in Vegas is to have a unit on scene in under 7:59). Because they always dispatch both fire and ambulance to all calls, one or the other usually arrive quick enough that they don't particularly want or need an off-duty EMT with a scanner radio trying to 'beat' the ambulance to the scene. This guy I mentioned actually kind of got his butt in a sling with the police the other day for speeding to an amergency in his POV.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.