57 members have voted

1. 1.

• Love dealing with people from all walks of life
    • Just sort of ended up here
    • Just for a paycheck
    • They won't let me ride on the fire engine unless I do EMS
    • The lights and sirens really give me a rush

Hi flight...

Nothing whatsoever wrong wth aviation. Infact, I love it. I fly either a helicopter or a Cessna airplane for radio news/traffic reporting. I initially enrolled in the EMT basic course just because it's something I've always wanted to do. I wanted to be able to do something more than stand there with my thumb up my rear when someone's having a heart attack, not breathing or bleeding badly (and believe it or not I seem to come across this kind of stuff all the time). Now, I'm considering if EMS is something I might want to do as a career. I'll never stop being a pilot, but lately there's just something nagging inside of me to do this. I've always been in awe of EMS to begin with, and now that I've had a little taste of it...well you get the idea. Who knows, maybe I end up working Mercy Air someday.

Love to hear more about your plans :lol:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after 13 yrs in this field I'd have to say that i disagree with Ridryder911...........i do love my job!!

no, no wait i hate this crap........nooooo i do love my job!!!!

oh hell, where's my Prozac.....damn it!!! i can't make up my mind.....lol

seriously though everybody above it seems has stated the same thing I'd say as well, but i don't just see it stopping at EMS...it's medicine all together. I'd also agree with dusty, that it's nice to see a newbie that is actually researching a career jump......instead of doing this for glory!!!!

welcome to the city!!!!

madmedic

toysoldier... I'm seeing and feeling the same thing. I'm also a pilot, (although only private) and am considering a career change. I'm 43, and semi-retired, ex Canadian Navy, currently driving a school bus in Oregon. The strange thing is, that EMS has always been a dream of mine. Unfortunately, I see that almost everywhere, EMT's and even some Paramedics make less than a school bus driver :shock: ! I may be wrong, but working 80+ hours a week is more in my pocket, but at less than $16.00/hr? Sounds outrageous to me! And our state requires a 2-yr degree for Paramedic as well.

Geez, guess I'm already a whiner. :oops: Maybe I will fit in after all!

Mike

I have been active in the field for over 20 years I love it, I am currently running as a QRV Medic and have been on a fire dept. squad doing als and I now teach and do transports and work on other squads in the county. I wake up in the morning and the only groaning I do is over the time of day and the pain in my back.

My job allows fer changes every day I do 60 and 72 hour shifts going from squad to squad and love every minute of it. No office no desk and I make a difference in the field have made good friends and even make a pt. smile everyonce in a while. Some say my heart is hard and feelings numbed but the price you pay from wading in and out of every body's misery is the stress numb feelings and hard heart that allows you to do the job well and still enjoy what you do.

Just remember for us to have fun and play in the field somebody has to a very bad day and we have to remember the comfort we bring the people we serve is the fact we are there and willing to help in a moments notice.

Would anyone say there's a difference between working on a fire department rescue squad and working on an ambulance (aside from the pay issue)? I'd have to say I haven't run across too many unhappy fire medics, but it seems like so many ambulance medics I've talked to just want to get off the road and instruct or find another line of work altogether. Is the burnout rate higher in the ambulance business?

BTW...does this discussion need to be moved off this meet and greet thread? I know this section is probably not for continuing discussions like this. Where could it be moved to?

Thank you all ;)

I've been doing volunteer "ambulance" rescue for 3+ years, and although I've wanted to quit ('cause I don't feel appreciated...awwwww..poor me), I have also seen paid fire medics who would rather be fighting fires than do patient care.

I always come back because there is something wrong with me...LOL.

At least I get to run with my husband, talk about a partner I can totally trust!

Toysoldier, quit reading the forum rules. You could move this off this thread area if you want but many posts stay where they started out at. You could ask a admin to move it or just make your own new post

But then again, keep up the good posts. I'm waiting for more posts from you with good quality subjects.

take care.

I am new here but I think that most medics you run across that are constantly unhappy due to something else. Like a marriage gone bad, not being able to achieve a higher goal due to the crazy hours we work. Most people I know are exactly like yall said. They gripe all the way to the call but put on another face in front of the patient. I have also witnessed the demise of a few good medics due to being burnt out and they could not find a way to release their negative energy. So they ended up making stupid decisions that cost them their patch. My advice for anyone new to this profession is to learn as much as you can about every aspect of the field care and never forget it. Once you do you get the bad habits that they were telling you about. Walk around your station and do what you know you are suppose to do. If the others don't do their part, at least you know in your heart you gave it your all.

Hey, Toy, I'm new to this site, but for what its worth it is a good thing that you have seen a negative aspect of people and attitudes within EMS. There are basically 2 ways to learn this stuff - 1)-what to do; and 2)what NOT to do. Yes, there are folks who are burnt out, who have bad habits, who treat patients poorly. And we all have days that we b*tch and moan about. But now that you've seen this, seek out EMT's and Medics who are really good at what they do. There are many excellent people doing this who will guide you along. Find medics who provide superior patient care, take pride in their work, their truck, their partners and themselves. Make your own commitment to be the best provider you can be, and hang around with like minded people. Learn about more than required to function as a Basic. If you can support/assist a Paramedic partner as he/she provides ALS care they will LOVE having you as a partner, and you will find in a short time you have many valuable mentors. If this field is for you, and you surround yourself with as many positive and skilled people as possible....well, its the best damn job in the world. Good luck to you!!!

P.S.- Just remember we're all a little whacked in the head...look past our individual insanities OK?

Hey, Toy, I'm new to this site, but for what its worth it is a good thing that you have seen a negative aspect of people and attitudes within EMS. There are basically 2 ways to learn this stuff - 1)-what to do; and 2)what NOT to do. Yes, there are folks who are burnt out, who have bad habits, who treat patients poorly. And we all have days that we b*tch and moan about. But now that you've seen this, seek out EMT's and Medics who are really good at what they do. There are many excellent people doing this who will guide you along. Find medics who provide superior patient care, take pride in their work, their truck, their partners and themselves. Make your own commitment to be the best provider you can be, and hang around with like minded people. Learn about more than required to function as a Basic. If you can support/assist a Paramedic partner as he/she provides ALS care they will LOVE having you as a partner, and you will find in a short time you have many valuable mentors. If this field is for you, and you surround yourself with as many positive and skilled people as possible....well, its the best damn job in the world. Good luck to you!!!

P.S.- Just remember we're all a little whacked in the head...look past our individual insanities OK?

This should appear in every self-help guide to life book published.

Work hard, learn your craft, avoid whiners, make your team better.

Great post!!

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.