57 members have voted

1. 1.

• Love dealing with people from all walks of life
    • Just sort of ended up here
    • Just for a paycheck
    • They won't let me ride on the fire engine unless I do EMS
    • The lights and sirens really give me a rush

Hi Everyone,

Sorry my first post here at EMT City is a question, but I'm really troubled about a couple of things and would like to know the group's thoughts.

I'm currently about halfway through my basic course, which I'm taking at a local ambulance company. When I enrolled, I only intended to get the basic and use it to help injured people I run across often in my job. Then as I got further into the course, I began to consider training to the Paramedic level and maybe changing careers.

Here's where it starts to get a little odd. It seems like most people I've ran across at this ambulance company are unhappy for one reason or another. Many I've talked to want to get out the profession altogether. I hear stuff like, "this is all BS"....etc. Needless to say, I'm not too sure I want to jump on the happy boat with this bunch! In all seriousness, these are not bad folks, they just seem to be miserable and unhappy much of the time. My question here is...well, is this kind of how it is everywhere? Is morale in the EMS community generally this low? If so, why? I do understand the stress and all, but it just seems like there's more to it than that.

My other concern is that once I finish the basic, I'm told I'd have to wait 3 to 5 years to get into a Paramedic program. Is this par for the course, or are there places where it's possible to get into EMT-P faster? I can't see sitting idle for that long. If I'm going to change careers, then I need to do it sooner rather than later.

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Toy

[/font:c1708098fa]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soldier, glad for your interest in the EMS field. I must certainly say taht it takes a different kind of individual to work in the EMS field and be happy. Sounds as if your co-workers are either in the field for the complete wrong reason or that they are severely burnt out. If you do go into this field, remember that it involves long hours, low pay & lots of stressful situations.

I'm not sure about your Paramedic attendance. Your best option is to get your Basic and then to practice in the field for a couple of years AT LEAST until you feel that you have adequately obtained very good BLS skills and insticts. I am personally in a Paramedic program right now. I was a Basic for over three years before I even thought about attending an ALS class. Best of luck to you in your decisions.

I have been in the field nearly 30 years, and have yet met many medics that ever say "they love their job" or wouldn't leave it .. EMS has always have and always will be filled with whiners, complainers, bitch and groaning individuals. Most services I ever meet, someone is always going to quit.... then you return 5 years later, only to still see them and still hear it.

This is the beast of the business.. most medics are not happy, unless their unhappy. But, if you were to offer them a lucrative deal, or higher job, they would be the first to turn it down. Make rumors that a service is going to lay off or someone might get fired.. the tunes change in how much they really do like their job... this is not just one service, but nationally.

I have decided this is their way to "acceptably vent" and relieve stress... even if those problems were not really wrong.. this is their avenue to release frustrations, among peers. So if you can put up with the bull, and not take the bitching from the medics seriously, you will do fine.

R/r 911

Ridryder911, good call. This attitude is not limited to EMS. Anybody who has ever spent any time working in the hospital knows what I am talking about. Toysoldier, welcome to the city. Health care is one big dysfunctional family. :D What do you expect with a bunch of humans running the show? (bunch of humans thinking they run the show) :wink: If you can deal with the not so glamorous aspects of health care, you should do OK. Wow, this is my 500th post.

Take care,

chbare.

Thanks guys for all the advice and words of encouragement. :D It's nice to know there are people who do love the work and that it's not all as bad as what I hear around the ambulance station. Guess I'll just have to find a way to tune a lot of this negativity out and stay focussed on learning as much as I can.

And Resq... thanks for the advice on working BLS for a while. It makes perfect sense. I'll have to look around to see what opportunities there are since they don't really use BLS in the Las Vegas system. Maybe hospital-to-hospital transport or something like that???

What do you guys think about the intermediate EMT level? Is it worth going after, or is it better to go from basic to paramedic after some experience working as a basic?

Soldier, also welcome to the city and do not forget that this in only one ambulance service or area you are working in. It's prevalent all over so no matter where you go there you are.

To get into this for good reasons is fine and now that you know how some of us medics act you can take the steps to prevent or keep you from becoming like them.

Good luck,get your experience as an EMT and then go on to Medic. You sound like a pretty good egg.

@toysoldier - I noticed you have "Pilot" listed under your avatar. Is there any particular reason why you are choosing EMS vs. aviation? As a pilot myself, one that is in the process of transitioning out of EMS into aviation full-time, I look back and realize that I should have considered this change sooner. Interested in hearing your thoughts about it..............

Plus five for an excellent first post! :thumbright:

It is refreshing to see a newcomer actually give serious consideration to something more substantial than what kind of stethoscope and light bar he is going to buy. Should you choose to actually pursue this career (which I advise against), I have great hope for your success.

Yes, there are tonnes of places where you do not have to wait years to attend paramedic school. In fact, probably most places, you do not have to. And I advise against working as a basic before attending paramedic school. All it does is give you an attitude and bad habits, both of which are hard to break. Working for three years between EMT and medic school makes about as much sense as working three years between middle school and high school. Nada. If you can avoid it, do.

Best of luck!

When I was doing ride time for my basic, I listened to those at the base and I also watched when on a call.

We had a call for one of the frequent flyers, the crew I was with griped all the way there. However when on scene they provided the best care possible.

Now that I am working I am finding the living quarters is the place to vent your frustrations without it getting to ears that need not know or would not understand, but in the field all provide the best they can.

Being in the EMS world is frustrating because of various aspects including but not limited to the hours, the pay, the fact you can not cure stupid

As far as advancing, go for it. If you can work in the field while chasing your paramedic do it.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.