This is incredibly messed up....check this out?

the reason I say that we shouldn't go there is that every time I have read discussions on thoughts on 9/11 and what happened and who knew, it always degrades into flaming, name calling and political arguments. That's not what this board is about. It's about ems and other things. I've just seen too many of these so called harmless discussions end up being locked, people being banned or suspended and such.

If we want to talk explosive politics then let's put it out on a different style board.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this could be discussed as adults but every place I've been where a similar subject has been posted it's always gone quite badly.

Heck even where I work, we discussed this and it ended up being a shouting match and Bush did this and others didn't do this. It's just not a fun time.

But if we want to try to keep it within the realms of civility I'm all for it. Maybe the mods can keep it in check and lock it if it gets too out of hand.

Maybe a new topic thread should be started. I'm not gonna start it but someone can.

I'm going to say something that is probably going to upset a lot of people on here. So before you jump all over me, remember three things:

[*]You can't change my point of view, so it does no good to try to argue with me.

[*]It is just my point of view, no one forced you to read this.

[*]Do not pick my post apart, yes you could cut it up to spin it, but if you do not read the entire thing, then you will not understand my point.

First off, I'm sick and tired of people wearing FDNY shirts like they are the only department that has lost people. We all seem to have forgotten the little fires that kill firefighters, or the junkies that shot cops, and the medics who were killed trying to save a life as well. There was more then just the twin towers, there was the Pentagon and other airplanes. So many people are focused on the towers that they fail to see the attack against the Pentagon was by far worse then what happened in New York. Your right, they didn't see 3,000 people die...but they saw the head quarters for the American Military attacked.

In the United States and most of the free nations around the world we feed off of the shock value. We count bodies like we do runs in a baseball game. The higher the count, the better the game. Truth be told, we are nothing but a nation full of sick and twisted individuals that are so insecure with our own sins that we feel as if we have to attack those worse off then us. We jump all over a suspect as soon as the police name them, then fail to apologize when he is cleared and the real killer is caught. We jump into war and kill our own men and women...but then go on a blood hunt when our short term investment yields long term costs.

No one pays attention to the small things, they only want to see the horror. Shock value is what has made cable news networks profitable, it is what has made news reporters famous, and it is why so many individuals cannot form a single thought on their own anymore.

Katrina and Rita are prime examples. When Katrina hit those just outside of the areas hit rushed to back up the agencies that were in over their head (no pun intended). We focused mostly on New Orleans...why? The body count was high, and the possibility of it getting bigger was high as well. We watched as people clung to the little island formed by the Superdome complex...but we didn't watch the last man, woman, and child escape from there. The media was so quick in getting down there...often getting in the way. They bought their way onto rescue boats, trucks, and other modes of transportation. Their helicopters danced around the rescue helicopters, trying to stay out of the way.

Then the glory seekers came, and came they did. Hundreds of them, just like they did to 9/11. Granted, we had our own glory seekers there already from our own departments, but more came. The true SAR teams, DMAT, and other agencies that have done this before did not try to get on TV...they wanted to get the job done...they wanted to help us remember what normal was sooner. I consider myself lucky, my tour down there was not long, and Rita cleared out the Reliant Park area...but sitting there in an empty city waiting...made me think...where were the glory seekers, where was the national media? They were gone, they were not going to risk it. They wanted to stay safe...you know who was there though? The real men and women...the ones who don't care about glory.

There is no glory in moving dead bodies, and there is no glory in telling someone not to give up when they have lost everything. There is no glory in presenting a patient to the over whelmed ER, and knowing that what you left him with is all he has. I stood in the Red Cross meetings and watched as the glory seekers checked their digital cameras...they wanted to sale pictures to the media...they wanted to take pictures of people who had nothing. Glory seekers are firefighters, medics, cops, and every other profession...they are the ones who make me sick.

Glory seekers get people killed, they are the ones that when your trying to do something freeze up because the realize how bad it is. They don't freeze because they are rookies, they freeze because they just realized how freaking sick and twisted they are...they wanted to see death and destruction. They go into fires and get others killed that try to save them when they go to far. We all have a glory seeker or two around us, everyone of you on here can name at least one (please don't).

Those who died on 9/11 died because they wanted to help, they most likely knew they were going to die...but they went in. They didn't go for glory, they went because they needed to get as many people out as they could. More then just firefighters, medics, and cops died that day. One group tried to retake the plane, and another group fought to regain control of the country in the very same building that would kill them. So on September 11, 2006, bow your heads in honor of those who died....all of them. And when you report to work on September 12 or August 22, or any other day...remember those who died around you doing what they did best...giving their all. No one of us is better than each other....so lets not remember someone in a way greater then that of anyone else we have lost.

America might forget them, but we can't.

Nate

• 3 weeks later...
this from someone who's never had 3500 of his countrymen killed in a single terrorist attack. Hypocritical if you ask me.

just as well i didn't ask you then eh? Is hypocrytical like what your president is trying to do to whats left of the geneva convention?

You should see it from where i am!

Seriously mate! the rest of the world is constantly preached at about the problems of the US of A, and how EVERYTHING that the US of A does they simply justify and throw it under the banner of september 11?

Arn't you sick of those 3500 people being used a political scapegoats?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.